Future proof Mac Pro RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by OSXconvert, Sep 4, 2007.

1. OSXconvert macrumors member

I need to buy a mac pro now, but will probably sell it and upgrade to the new mac pros when they come out (with the leopard launch, mwsf?). Will the 2 x 2g ram I buy for a 2.66 quad be compatible with whatever 8-core model Apple releases next?

Paul

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Depends where you buy it from. Although the memory specification is the same on both MacPros, many older RAM chipsets are not compatible with the 8-core machine. So you stand a good chance of getting RAM that won't migrate, if you just choose the lowest price seller.

Choose a reputable seller, and ask for RAM that is tested and guaranteed compatible with the 8-core Mac Pro .

3. MikeL macrumors 6502

Ignore that last reply. He's talking about current machines, you're asking about future machines.

The answer is that none of us know, because no one knows what kind of memory the next MP is going to use.

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Future proof Mac Pro ram? I don't know. Chipsets change, ram continues to improve. Unless you mean durability??

I can tell you a smart way of getting Mac Pro ram.

You don't get 2x512 mbs, or even 2x1 gig, get 2x2gig chips. If you use 2x2 gig chips, you will have enough space (in the future), to get to 16 gigs if need be.

Or if you have too much $ to spend, get 2x4 gig chips and get up to 32 gigs of ram.

5. OSXconvert thread starter macrumors member

While I agree with Mike L's comment about nobody knows what the next mac pro will be, it seems to make sense to buy ram that is proven with the current 8-core model.

I am looking to buy 2 x 2gb chips. Thanks for your suggestions, everybody.

6. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

Nono, I think he means that when he buys the new MP and sells off this current one, he wants to use those pieces of RAM in the new MP. So he wants to buy RAM that would be able to be physically moved and used in the new MP. :apple::apple:

7. Tracer macrumors 6502

I'd hold off for the moment.

If Apple go with 1600MHZ FSB Stoakley Logic Boards, they'll require Faster DDR2-800 Fully Buffered Dimms.

Leaving you with incompatible 667 Dimms. Ram is just going to get cheaper so there really no point in stocking up, unless you get a steal.

Tracer

8. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

667 FB-DIMMs should still be compatible, just at lower speed. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that they would be.

9. jburrows500 macrumors regular

jburrows500

I'll reserve my final opinion of OWC ram.. got 4 1GB sticks today installed in my Mac Pro and it wouldnt boot.. Now they are sending me 4 new ones.. lets hope for the best..

10. OSXconvert thread starter macrumors member

That was what I was wondering about. I guess there's just no way to know until apple releases them. And who knows how much of a speed hit there'll be with slower ram. I'll probably just have to sell the ram with the machine when I upgrade. Thanks for all your help.

jburrows500: OWC is a good company. I just bought my ram from them and whenever I've had a problem, they've quickly replaced the item. In my experience, I've encountered problem ram from most of the dealers and have had to return for a replacement about one-third of the time.

11. Tracer macrumors 6502

In response to Suneohair's Post.

Your right in that 667 RAM will work in a 800 RAM Board.

However if the Mac ships with 800 RAM then you'll be forced to run all of your memory at 667 MHZ resulting in no performance benefit.

This is all speculation, but I would still hold off.