Future-proof RAM for Penryn

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weizilla, Feb 21, 2008.

1. weizilla macrumors regular

I'm giving myself one more week for any updates to the MBP (and hopefully MB) before I go ahead and purchase a blackbook. I'm going to upgrade to 4GB of ram and I want to buy ram that will also work with penryn just in case it comes out in the next 30 days (return window for amazon) or if I decide to sell this and get a new laptop in a few months.

Will Penryn use the same RAM as the current models (DDR2-667) or will it use (DDR2-800)? I was thinking of getting this set since the diff in price is only about $10:
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory - Retail

Would that work perfectly in a blackbook (besides running at 667)?

2. Paix247 macrumors 6502

Alienware's new Penryn laptop still uses the 667MHz RAM, so I would guess Penryn doesn't take advantage of the 800MHz.

Link

3. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

I wouldn't put that GSKill crap in my mac....

I've had a few of their modules fail in budget pc rigs.

Stick with name brands. Corsair, Crucial, Kingston. Why spend time shipping stuff back and forth waiting etc.

4. weizilla thread starter macrumors regular

what's wrong with gskill? a lot of people have good experiences with them here. plus, it seems like most of the ram sold is manufactured by just a few companies and is just rebranded.

There's also this one Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory - Retail which is the only one with a Cas Latency of 4. Will that make a diff?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had G.Skill RAM in my MacBook since late December. It works flawlessly. For the Penryn (Santa Rosa Platform) based laptop/desktop Macs you're still going to be using DDR2-667 SO-DIMMs.

The lower CAS latency isn't worth the extra money unless you're overclocking. I got my 4 GB of G.Skill for $79 with free shipping. :D

6. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I too highly recommend G.Skill!
    I've used it in a MacBook Pro CD and a MacBook C2D.

7. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

To my understanding, the Penryn processor refresh won't use 800MHz because the Santa Rose platform can't (I forget the chipset name, Cantiga?). Anyway, when we have Penryn processors with the Montevina platform, I believe it will work. And with the way things are looking, the MBP might skip the Penryn refresh and wait it out until Montevina. But, who knows but Jobs and God. And no, they aren't one in the same. ;)

8. weizilla thread starter macrumors regular

I just looked it up on wikipedia and it looks like Montevina will support DD3. Seem like there's no reason to order the 800MHZ ram then.