Future proofing early 2011 base model 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevinbomb123, Aug 2, 2012.

1. kevinbomb123 macrumors member

Hi guys, i want to wait for the next macbook pro series so i would like to future proof my base model 13" Im looking to throw in a intel SSD and 16gb of ram to do this.

Can/will this buy me another 2 years of use?

when everything is done these will be the specs.

2.3ghz 3mb cache intel i5

16gb ddr3 1333mhz RAM

Intel HD 3000 with 512mb of ram

320GB Intel SSD.

will this handle mountain lion and buy me another 2 years?

2. Ryukouki macrumors regular

The SSD is fine, you really don't need 16 GBs of RAM. 8 is plenty.

3. wiznet macrumors regular

Will it buy you another two years? Not necessarily. Maybe you don't even need it in the first place. Would your performance benefit from such upgrades? Yes.

SSD would be my recommendation. Do the RAM if you wish, but think about if you really need it or not. What applications/what kind of workload do you use/have most of the time?

Will it handle mountain lion as it is? Yes. Will it handle it better with the SSD upgrade? Of course.

4. Slivortal macrumors 6502

What's this about a new MacBook Pro series for 2 years? :confused:

And you'll probably be fine. I'm still working on a C2D, and if my needs hadn't changed since I'd gotten it, I'd probably still be fine today.

Btw, FORGET ABOUT "FUTURE PROOF." IT DOESN'T EXIST.

...Just focus on what you need. It's rare that new technology changes your needs unless you're in a compute-intensive field.

5. tinkori macrumors member

8GB RAM is ok if you are not running VMs or running a lot of processes. 16GB would ensure your SSD is not used as a swap for 99% time. This also increases SSD life.

Given the price of 16GB go for it. And a 128 or 256GB SSD like Crucial or Samsung

6. stevelam macrumors 65816

Is your 2011 MacBook not working enough for you or something? ML doesn't need SSD or 16 gb of ram. I have ML running in my 2008 MacBook non-pro so I don't see why it would be an issue for you. You also fail to even mention what your usage case is.