Future proofing or wasting money?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zerka, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Zerka macrumors member

So I'm looking to buy a rMBP, and my question is whether or not I should give up the extra $180 to upgrade to 16 GB RAM? I would be using this laptop mainly for school, but also a few personal things. I plan on using it extensively for about 4-5 years through college (Software engineering), maybe longer. This in mind, I did want to run Windows in either a VM or BootCamp, but I can always put this aside, as I don't think it's absolutely necessary. With my current laptop I use about 4.5-5 GB or RAM out of the 16 GB I have, so I figured I'll be fine. However, over 4-5 years will 8 GB hold up to whatever OS X and it's apps throw at it?

2. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

If you're positive you will run VM or BootCamp, i'd get the 16GB. Otherwise, it's a waste of money.

3. blooperz macrumors 6502

8 gig will be the norm for some time to come....16gig is overkill for most people that have it =p

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I think the 8 would be more than enough for you.

5. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

I have 16gb. Don't use VM Ware. Overkill. It was cheaper when I did it, but still overkill. Most times you will not need it. 8 is plenty.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

If I only run Mac apps, 8 gb is plenty for me. Before upgrading to 16 gb, Parallels caused significant page outs. With 16 GB, not a problem anymore. If you will be running virtual machines, consider the 16 option.

7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I got mine maxed out to 16 Gb. If 32 would be available I would have chosen that option. 180$ spread over 4 years extensive use is cheap.

8. bgd macrumors regular

In this age of soldered RAM I'd be inclined to go for 16GB. You may end up keeping the machine longer than you expect. We still have a white macbook from 2006 in the family. Or your usage may change. I now use multiple VMs, which is a recent change. VM's need RAM.

9. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

You don't need more memory for Bootcamp, as it's not like you'd be running Windows and Mac OS X at the same time, but for VMs, yes. Or perhaps if editing very large image files or large videos, but for most things, including gaming, 8Gb is plenty. More SSD space or a faster processor would probably give you more benefit, if able to spend more cash on your computer.

10. mac8867 macrumors 6502

16GB, not question about it.... you will find there are moments when 8GB will fall short. I am a software engineer, and started with an 8GB rMBP and had to upgrade to 16 within a few months. Once you get in the groove using VM's, you just need more... I need a database VM, I need a .NET VM, I need an Oracle EBS VM, I need .... definitely get 16GB