future software updates...whats next?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by auburnfan24, Jun 22, 2009.

1. auburnfan24 macrumors regular

i have to say, being an owner of every iphone since 'iday' i have been with the phone since the first firmware. you know with the old calculator, all the icons stuck in one spot, etc.

my question is, with the device to where it is today, what do you think the next software will bring? i know everybody will say huge things like backgrounding etc. i'm talking about the simple things that are easy to implement.
    -home screen notification of emails
    -wallpaper behind icons
    -renaming icons
    -a few selections of docks (like macs have)
    -new icon selection
    -themes
    -more ringtone and SMS/MMS tones ***This is big, i hate the SMS tones

anybody have any other opinions? like i said, i love the iphone the way it is...but these are a few things i would love to see in place for the iphone. personalization is a huge selling point! :D

2. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

3. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

is it possible for apple to enable backgrounding in a future OS update?

or would they have to wait until new a new iphone is made?

Basically I'm asking is backgrounding a software issue or hardware issue?

4. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

Even though the iPhone gets better with every OS Update and the current one is Excellent, I can't wait for the following come to life......

I'd like to see the option to remove the Contacts Icon and the Weather APP from the home screen, and before anyone says move them to the last screen its not an option for me because I don't want useless APPs/icons anywhere on my phone. The Weather APP is useless because of the incorrect weather information. The Contacts Icon is useless because its included in the Phone Aplication and with Voice control in the New 3GS the Contacts Icon is absolutely useless.

I would also like to turn 3G on/off from the first Settings screen, the way it is now it takes 5 clicks to turn 3G on and another 5 clicks to turn 3G off. Do this 10 times a day or more and you have clicked 100 + times just to access 3G, I know I can leave 3G permanently ON but that also is not an option because I like to use my phone after lunch as well, battery life is crap with 3G always on. Click on Settings-General-Network- and just under the 3G setting where you enable 3G, APPLE themselves tells us 3G decreases Batt Life. I go online many times a day just for a few min only, sometimes just to check the weather (not the Apple Weather App) and its annoying and a waste of time turning 3G on and off. The option to make the MUTE switch user selectable to whatever function would be great as well, I hardly ever use that switch to mute incoming calls - give me the option to use this switch to whatever function I want for example to easily switch 3G on & off and I'll be :)

The first page of settings should go like this......

Airplane Mode (perfect location because 3G drops out many times)
    WiFi (perfect location for quick access)
    Bluetooth (currently buried 4 clicks away)
    Enable 3G (currently buried 5 clicks away)
    etc
    etc
    etc

Whats the point in having Sounds/brightness/wallpaper on the first page ? for most people once you set sounds/brightness and wallpaper you hardly go back.

I've always wanted to complain about (my) above issues, I was waiting for OS 3.0 to make my wish come true, not so :mad:

Still very happy with the iPhone 3G and OS 3.0 :D

5. TehBest macrumors member

Why do you have to turn your 3G off so often? (edit, I saw its because of your battery life) Thats kind of weird though, Ive got my 3G on all day and my phone usually goes without charge for 2 days or so. hmm. I'd say the majority of users never even touch that option.

6. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

I find that leaving 3G on drains the battery by late afternoon. Sometimes I forget it on and need to charge the battery more often. Switching 3G off allows the battery to last all day and into the late night. I know 3G is not the only thing that drains the battery but being able to switch it on/off quickly would be great. Maybe in the next Update ??????

EDIT : I haven't done this for a while, but will leave 3G on all day tomorrow and see what happens :)

7. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

To be honest, the Settings app is pretty poorly designed. Finding the exact option you want is often a guessing game, as Apple have hidden it under sometimes the most obscure section.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Please let me manually edit the autocorrect dictionary.

Please.

9. TehBest macrumors member

Hah yah maybe. we can only hope. you should, if you have time or are interested, take your iphone to your local apple store and explain your battery situation. having worked at an apple store, if you came in to my store with that kind of battery life, id set you up for a replacement.

10. goum macrumors newbie

11. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Two things I'd love:

Ability to rotate the phone on the home screen (dock would stay on the side), rotate icons 90 degrees and scroll screens by going up and down.

Ability to add a shortcut to sub-menus onto the springboard (or whatever the home screen is called)... ie take the Usage sub-menu and have it accessible from the home screen, or the internet tethering so that you could open that from the home screen and turn it on rather than going through 2-3 menus to access it.

I'm pretty happy with where the phone is now. I wish I could run music apps in the background, but I'm sure it'll come eventually.

12. rez07 macrumors member

13. jaycarroll macrumors regular

The largest annoyance for me, so far, has been the cumbersome way the iPhone deals with email.
    Coming from a BB, it is very inconvenient to have to tap several times to see different inboxes/folders. I want one true 'Messages' list for all forms of communication - a bukket.

Now someone please reply back and say 'There's an app for that!'

14. aluren macrumors 65816

15. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Quick reply/send

I hate quitting whatever application I'm in just so I can reply to or send a text.

16. cmaier macrumors G3

1) api allowing third party apps to plug into spotlight to return results and launch to appropriate page

2) springboard update with a better system than "field of icons." Perhaps alternate views (alphabetic table, categories, etc.), or hierarchical springboard (something like folders, or some use of the up-down swipe gesture).

3) non-modal alerts. something like the "today screen?" (could use swipe up on springboard for that, too).

4) allow double-click to be mapped to any app, not just the current choices in settings

5) integrated (multi-account) email box. support for imap idle.

6) "advanced" spotlight search. e.g.: when popping up the keyboard, add a row with buttons for result types, to limit results to those types. Also, search all fields in contacts, email, etc.

7) phone "favorites" uses photos

8) unified "favorites" for quickly emailing, smsing, calling, etc. all on one screen.

9) global sandboxed filesystem, for syncing desktop documents and allowing apps access to them.

10) wireless synching (of whatever still can't be synched wirelessly - photos, music, etc.)

11) make use of the lock screen - show alerts that have occurred in a nice list, today's calendar, etc. Multiple "slide to unlocks." Slide in one place, launch to calendar. Slide in another, launch to email. Etc.

12) ichat. w/ video (on future devices with front-facing cameras)

13) basic photo editing (contrast, brightness, temperature, cropping, sharpening, rotating, simple filters, etc.)

17. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I miss my JB apps. Wishlist is...

Background processing
    SMS quick reply (hate having to exit out of apps to go into messaging)
    Easier access to 3G, Location, WiFI, Airplane mode, etc. SBSettings was fantastic.
    And an option for 3G to connect "when needed". This is something that was great w/ Nokia phones.

18. jzakhar macrumors newbie

push notifications for instant messengers... oh wait..

19. davyreins macrumors 6502

I agree, that's always a pain.

20. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

More detailed lockscreen - Really, I think they could've provided more info instead of just time & date. It would be really nice to just push the home button and see your missed calls/texts & new emails.

Downloadable themes (icons and wallpaper)- RIM doesn't seem to have a problem with this for their Blackberry products and they even let people charge for them. I'm really not getting my hopes up for this one though. :(

SMS quick reply - Agree 100%.

Unified contacts - Agree 100%

Ability to add more SMS & email tones. The default ones are nice and all but seriously Apple?

Ability to run more apps in the background, mostly for Pandora

Other than that stuff I like my iPhone 3GS. I really would hate to have to jailbreak to add that stuff back but these 3 days is the longest my phone has been stock so... it's rough. :(

21. icewing macrumors 6502

Some way to organize apps into folders, or multiple docks, or SOMETHING!!!

Search to get to an app? New in 3.0, but seems kind of a backward way to do things - I know, let's give the users a new command-line interface...we'll call it iDOS!

A decent snooze capablity for alerts, like the old Treos - abilty to select how long you want the alert to snooze for.

22. Amon37 macrumors regular

I don't have an S but I agree, I'm already missing my 5 icon dock, Battery percentage, SMS tones, themes, and boss prefs to swipe the top bar to toggle things like 3g, BT, wifi and SSH. I told myself I didn't really need to re-jailbreak but I do.

23. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

the obvious.....

Multiple open applications to go with the dual core processors coming next year. :cool:

Wireless video/audio sent to audio/video devices too, both directions. Haha.

24. cmaier macrumors G3

that's what i do on my Mac. (using spotlight, though many use quicksilver).

25. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

I would love to see a change to the lock screen. Missed calls, voicemail, emails, SMS/MMS, app push updates.