Future Software Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPad' started by greygray, Feb 14, 2010.

1. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Just a quick question. For future iPad software upgrades, would it be related to the iPhone?

If this is so, could it be a sign to show that Apple is porting some of the "iPad only" software features to the next iPhone update?

2. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I was wondering about this too, but mainly for iBooks. Since then it was announced that iBooks was a seperate download, so who knows. Maybe it will be a universal app?

But to start, I'd like to have the landscape home screen view on my iPhone.

Kinda off-topic, but in 4.0 I hope the iPad gets stacks for app categories, and spaces for multitasking. Or at least a dashboard.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

While the iPad uses iPhone OS, it's not the same version as the the iPhone. Which iPad feature(s) are you hoping Apple brings to the iPhone?

4. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I can sort of understand why they say it uses the iPhone OS, but since it is modified, they had every right to say it is iPad 1.0 OS which is derived from the current iPhone 3.0 OS.

Whatever... It is what it is...

5. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

They say it's 3.2, as per the 3.2 SDK :)

6. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Sorry, I should have said 3.x. ;)

7. greygray thread starter macrumors 68000

greygray

Something like the redone calendar app for the iPad. It really looks good.

8. jman240 macrumors 6502a

I wonder if they'll charge for ipad updates the way they charge for ipod touch updates?

9. greygray thread starter macrumors 68000

greygray

Good question. Because each software update pisses off both iPod touch users and maybe in the near future, iPad owners if they are going to charge for updates. :p

10. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I never thought about that.

I would actually be pissed at apple if I had to pay for upgrades due to their stupid accounting nonsense claim.

One thing apple does not have is good accountants.

Maybe because they have so much money they don't need them, I don't know.

11. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I agree with you, but I think we need to think about the future of it… If iPads became a replacement for Macs for lots of people, will Apple give them major OS updates free of charge? They don't give us OS X updates free of charge…

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

They're likely to do some free updates.
    I thought the change in practices meant that a Touch OS update to 3.2 or 4.0 would be free potentially now?

13. melman101 macrumors 68030

Maybe they'll charge for updates for the Wifi only model, and free for the 3G model. :)

Just kidding :)

14. bozzykid macrumors 68020

The difference is the ecosystem of the iPhone/iPad allows Apple to make a lot more money with the App Store and with Music/Movies/TV sales. So it is important that Apple continue to improve the software to allow app developers to provide more compelling apps.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actuality this is not true. An example is the iTunes music store. Despite being the largest music store in the world it has sold less than a billion songs. While a billion sold sounds (and is) impressive that would only be a few hundred million $s since it first opened. This is less than peanuts on Apple's revenue sheet and when you have over $30,000,000,000 in cash and taking in almost $10,000,000,000 a quarter a couple of hundred million is just chump change. Apple makes it's real money off selling hardware and iTunes/App store is primarily just bait to sell more hardware.

16. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Hehe, I think your numbers are a bit out of date. It's sold 9.9 billion songs actually.

I also think he was primarily referring to the App store. Which is a fair point actually, and a good argument for why OS updates will be free.

17. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

i doubt it

18. greygray thread starter macrumors 68000

greygray

Do you think Apple will charge for iPad software updates?

Do you think Apple will charge for software updates on the iPad just as it has done for the iPod touch? If so, will it affect your buying decision?

Discuss.

19. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

I'm thinking that anyone who can afford the price of admission to iPadland, will probably be able to afford the extra five bucks for an iPod Touch-like OS upgrade.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Because people don't live outside their means? Because no one bought the iPhone and unlocked it to save money or jury-rigged some way to get their internet for free?

Riiiiight.

21. amammad macrumors regular

I thought they had to charge.

Doesn't the iPhone get free updates because it's on a subscription model or something?

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They spread the cost of the iPhone across the 2 years of the contract thus allowing free updates because its on a subscription model.

The real question is whether OS updates to the ipod touch are free, if they are, then the Ipad will probably follow suit.

23. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I think any iPad updates will be along the lines of those of either the iPhone or iPod touch. I am thinking in line more with the iPhone (free) than iPod touch (a couple dollars) in fact.

Besides if they did the cost of said upgrade would be minimal at best and if you can't afford a few dollars for an upgrade then maybe you shouldn't play with the big kids. What is it with the software world, that users think that everything has to be free.

Apple OS upgrades whether it be the iPhone, iPod Touch or Mac have always been very inexpensive when compared to their Windows counterparts.

24. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

If you can't come up with $5, you've got bigger worries than an iPad not running the latest OS.

And if you're already stealing internet and software, stealing another five bucks ain't going to be much of a stretch of your ethical envelope either.

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Touch updates have never been free because their is no subscription. I suspect the iPad will be treated like the Touch or Mac... minor updates will be free but major upgrades will cost $.