Future updates for 2012/2013 macbook pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by conanthewarrior, May 12, 2018.

1. conanthewarrior macrumors member

Hi everyone, I am currently bidding on a 2012 retina 15" macbook pro, as I need a replacement to my current 2010 13" model, and wondered about future updates.

I could of went for a current model 13" macbook pro, but I really want the 15 with a i7 as I am running logic and the extra screen space is handy, not to mention the quad core i7 vs dual core i5.

I just wondered really if future mac OS updates are likely to be compatible with a 2012/2013 model? I realise my current model supports the latest mac OS, and just wanted to make sure this will be the same for models that use I7 processors.

Benchmarks are better for the 15" old macbook pro vs new 13", but will I notice this in the real world too?

Thanks for your help, Conan.

2. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

High Sierra is currently compatible with 2010 and onward MBPs, I’d imagine 10.14 will make it 2011, or even 2012 & onwards (high Sierra and Sierra support the same macs) so I would suggest possibly another 2 or so updates? Sorry can’t be more certain but Apple aren’t quite as predictable with MacOS support as they are with iOS...

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

My opinion only:

If your primary usage is for a digital audio app such as Logic, I wouldn't worry about future updates that "might not run".

Rather, the best software (whether it's the "most-recently-updated", or not) is that which runs Logic (or other DAW apps) well, without problems.

It seems to be a common problem for those doing audio production, that "newer software" often breaks older hardware (due to drivers, etc.).

With DAW production, the "best place to be" is in a comfortable situation in which all your hardware and software are working comfortably with each other. "Latest and greatest" updates, or not...

4. MadDane macrumors 6502a

Have you considered waiting for the 2018 model? They will (or should) bring quad core processors to the 13". That way you get performance + new hardware. However, you will not get the 15" screen size that way.

5. conanthewarrior thread starter macrumors member

I ended up getting a 2013, 15" 2.4 I7 model today.

Really happy with it, got it for less than half the price of a base model new 13" MBP, and it has a faster quad core CPU, larger SSD, and more screen.