Future upgrade options on 6core processors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by secrethero, Nov 24, 2010.

1. secrethero macrumors newbie

I am planning to get a mac Pro with 3.33GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere”.
    How flexible are mac pros when it comes to cpu upgrade?
    Lets say a year later I decided to add a second processor with same cpu specs.
    Is the board that comes with 6core option will have the second slot?

Thanks.

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

It will be a single slot system. If you want an upgrade path go for the 2.4 dual quads. It's an expensive upgrade though.

3. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

If you buy a single CPU system you will be limited to single cpu upgrades. 3.33GHz 6-Core is the fastest CPU that will be available for quite a while until 8-core CPUS are developed.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

A 3.46GHz model is out in Q1 2011 and there will be no 8-core socket 1366 models.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Which will be the end of the line for the single socket 1366 processors. So if you buy a 3.33GHz hex these days, you certainly will never upgrade the CPU.

6. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Right, it wouldn't be worth spending a thousand dollars for a 3.75% performance increase.

So buy the 8 core 2.4ghz and you will be able to upgrade to dual 3.46ghz 12 cores some day (IF the machine can handle the heat load).

7. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

Yeah, I don't think it is out of consideration for our wallets that Apple doesn't offer duals at 3.33 GHz. The CPU heatsinks on the dual CPU models are quite a bit smaller (shorter in length) than the one in the single. The processor tray/daughterboard isn't big enough to handle two of the size that is in the single CPU MP. I suspect an attempt to use the highest speed processors in a dual model would result in the fans going at high speed to try and offload the heat. Unless there is a die shrink that is still on a compatible socket and stepping, I would be reluctant to exceed the clock speed of the top end factory option by too much.

8. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

I smell temptation for a casemod. Install a liquid cooling system and relocate Apple's fans to the radiator so the hardware doesn't freak out.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not going to happen. Intel won't release new CPUs for dead socket. They wan't people to buy new machines

10. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That's actually a valid point. The hex cores Apple uses in their DP version (2.66GHz & 2.93GHz) both have a TDP of 95W. The higher clocked processors (3.33GHz & 3.46GHz) come with 130W, which is 36% more for an speed increase of 18% (2.93 vs 3.46). One could argue with not being green any more, but I don't think that Apple is going that far for a workstation. At least I hope not. :p

Although the cooling system of the Mac Pro is capable of handling this amount of heat (it's the same thing with upgrading to 3.33GHz Quad models in last years Mac Pro), the fan speeds have to increase slightly, which is (from my point of view) one of the main reasons Apple decided against putting these processors in the options list.
    I don't think price is an issue, since the 3.33GHz versions are only $200 more (each of course) than the 2.93GHz model. Considering that these configurations go to businesses anyway, that small extra charge is absolutely negligible (especially given the base value of $6200!).

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

On the other hand, Apple offered dual X5482 in 2008 Mac Pro and those CPUs are 150W each! Anyone remember if the heatsinks were different than on other models (and are they different on 2009- MPs) and how was the noise level?

Just wondering. It's a bit weird that in 2008 Apple offered 2x150W but now they can't offer 2x130W.

12. secrethero thread starter macrumors newbie