Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
the price will still be high just no as high, a duel G5 is more the enought power for an average computer user. people still buy imac g3 so a duel g5 will loss some value but it will still cost a lot. If ur going to sell u pm do it before they duel core ones come out, if u do not plan on selling it for a while do not worry

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Looking in my crystal ball, searching for the answer to the question: "what value will a G5 have at some unspecified point in the future, when new technology comes out at an unknown price"

I see it, it's coming clearer, it's a sign, and it says:

howwouldweknow.gif

Hugh Jass

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2005
Cupertino, CA
One year from now a dual 2.0 G5 will be worth 73% of the current price new. You'll have to price out the BTO options you want, then multiply by 0.73. Two years from now it will be 55% of current price new.

I'm psychic by the way. Hugh Jass has spoken.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
NSiebenmor said:
Does anyone think there will be much of a resell value for a dual G5 Powermac once Dual Core Processors take over?

Never bother to consider resale value of computers. They're rapidly depreciating assets.

The only questions are a) can I afford the one I'm buying and b) how long will I be able to use it.

A has nothing to do with new products
B has something to do with new products, but really more what your needs are. If you're a poweruser and need the latest and greatest, well, then you shouldn't be worried about resale value anyway, beacuse what's important is keeping your business running. If not, why will your dual G5 stop functioning when Dual Core comes out?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Your guess is as good as mine.

However, Quicksilver and MDD G4 Dual processor computers STILL go for over $600 US on Ebay.

It is quite possible that the older Dual G5 systems will hold some value. You will NEVER get a full ROI on a used computer, unless it is a TRUE one off, and everyone wants it.

I think only the first LISA comptuers still take almost as much money as they cost new, but situations like that are super rare.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
840quadra said:
Your guess is as good as mine.

However, Quicksilver and MDD G4 Dual processor computers STILL go for over $600 US on Ebay.

It is quite possible that the older Dual G5 systems will hold some value.

I agree. Even tthough the value will decrease slightly more tahn it world normally, the price isn't going to just totally crash. Even though a better computer came out, the price isn't going to go from 3,000 to a hundred, in the matter of a month. It will take time for the value to decrease ...

Cheese

macrumors 6502
I dunno... I bought my iMAc G5 only 2 months ago, and now that the Rev B hit, it is worth $400-$500 less, and the rev B has all the stuff I wanted/will have to save for.

What will a Rev A iMac G5 be worth in 60 more days? any guess there? As for older macs and holding their price. I think the current drop on G5 iMacs is utterly blasphemous in comparison to older, say G3's and how well they held value.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Mac's keep a very good value, and are a far better investment than windows based computers, just look at the prices old macs sell for on ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.