Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe's Principal Project Manager for Photoshop John Nack today announced on his blog that future versions of the company's Creative Suite packages will drop support for Macs running on PowerPC processors and become Intel-only offerings.
By the time the next version of the Suite ships, the very youngest PPC-based Macs will be roughly four years old. They're still great systems, but if you haven't upgraded your workstation in four years, you're probably not in a rush to upgrade your software, either. Bottom line: Time & resources are finite, and with big transitions underway (going 64-bit-native, switching from Carbon to Cocoa), you want Adobe building for the future, not for the past.
Additional information for Adobe's customers using PowerPC machines can be found on the FAQ page for Creative Suite. Nack also notes that news about other Adobe applications, including Flash Player and Acrobat Reader, will be released in the near future.

Apple's Mac OS X Snow Leopard, due for release next month, is also dropping support for PowerPC-based Macs.

Article Link: Future Versions of Adobe Creative Suite to Drop PowerPC Support

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If anyone is at all shocked by this then they're silly. The second Apple drops PPC support Adobe is sure to follow suit.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Somehow I am not surprised.

EDIT - Jessica and I must have posted at the same time. At any rate, PPC support being dropped in the newest OS which everyone will be coding for will leave the Universal Binary (for major applications) behind; maintaining both codebases would cost too much time and money in many corporate opinions.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
"if you haven't upgraded your workstation in four years, you're probably not in a rush to upgrade your software"

Couldn't agree more.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Somehow I am not surprised.

EDIT - Jessica and I must have posted at the same time. At any rate, PPC support being dropped in the newest OS which everyone will be coding for will leave the Universal Binary (for major applications) behind; maintaining both codebases would cost too much time and money in many corporate opinions.

We were a minute apart. However, it has been said I have very fast fingers. ;)

modular

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
Considering cs4 was release 10 months ago, and the CS's have been released every 1.5-2 years, we've still probably got about another year before cs5 i'm guessing. So I guess I've got one more year with my g5 :) btw the g5 runs cs4 pretty well for a 5 year old comptuer-

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
We were a minute apart. However, it has been said I have very fast fingers. ;)

I also have satellite internet, which measures its ping time in seconds. Even though the latency bites hard, it beats dial-up hands down. If you're a faster typist then I am (very probable), then we probably started at the same time :p

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
"if you haven't upgraded your workstation in four years, you're probably not in a rush to upgrade your software"

Couldn't agree more.

That's funny. I was going to quote the very same statement... down to the exact words you quoted.:D
But yeah, that is a very realistic assumption and makes a lot of sense.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Seems like a reasonable move.

Couldn't agree more.
The people pitching fits about this will generally be the ones who pirate the software. Even development firms would be phasing out any PPC computers left at this point, simply because the speed increase would be more valuable to them.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Hahahahaha... nice one :p. If it must be so, Microsoft should drop PowerPC support for Office in the next version.
Intel-only Office? Unlikely but it'd be nice if the Installer wasn't run under Rosetta. Bring back the old drag and drop install option.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
It's amazing how fast 3 years has gone by since the Intel transition. It was obvious it was going to happen, in the same way SL being Intel only too.

Fabrice

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2007
Still...

...They have to keep Flash Player for PPC...
I wonder how they will deal with this... Messy times are coming...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Don't confuse dropping support for PPC in new versions of Creative Suite (what they are doing) with dropping support for PPC in old versions (which they are not doing, at least for now).

From their FAQ (italics mine):

What are Adobe's plans to support the PowerPC platform for the Creative Suite family of products?

Adobe intends for future versions of the Creative Suite range of products to run on Intel based Macs with no support for their installation on PowerPC systems.

Will Adobe continue to support the version of Creative Suite that I am currently running on PowerPC?

Adobe does not plan to make any changes to the existing complimentary and paid support programs that are enjoyed by our customers.​
So nobody needs to upgrade Creative Suite or update their hardware to do what they do now. You'll just need new-enough hardware if and when you do further upgrades to Creative Suite.

Pomares

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Don't care any more. Have found an alternative for each product that I am very happy with, except for Illustrator, which I am very fond of.

Have you found a good alternative to Illustrator?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.