Future wish: Finder for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Manatee, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Manatee macrumors 6502

Manatee

The app I want most in a future version of the iPhone OS is an equivalent of Finder on the Mac -- a file manager that supports creating of hierarchical folders and management of files. The user should be able to copy (or drag) files among folders, and between iPhone folders and PC/Mac folders when connected to other computers on a network. It should also allow files to be copied to/from other iPhones on the same network.

Unlike the Mac, it should not allow the user to touch the OS files -- or maybe even apps installed via iTunes. It should just allow the user to mess with data files.

The SDK should then allow apps to interact with those data files -- Create, Read, Update, and Delete them.

Seems to me this would make the iPhone much more versatile, in ways that other platforms already are (like Palm and Pocket PC).

As long as Apple can maintain security -- keep user files from modifying OS files, it should be secure.

Sound like a good idea?

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Well if you want to "drag" files to your iPhone, like PDF's use Air Sharing it's in the App Store right now!

But yeah it should be in the iPhone from scratch.

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I think after that Pre announcement your going to see a lot of copy catting by Apple to get those features in if they haven't done it already.

4. fishmoose macrumors 68000

The pre copies the iPhone to start with! I doubt Apple willl copy it.
    And belive you me the Palm Pre will flopp big time, consumers usually don't buy products that have basicly have copied technology from another company.

5. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Bzzzz wrong :) All those touch screen phones that came out are doing really well, along with the new Blackberry etc.

As for the Pre, it copies Apple and goes a few steps further, I think most people on this forum will agree.

So if the Pre is doing things better, especially when it comes to running multiple apps, your going to see Apple taking what works and integrating into the next iPhone.

Sorry but if you actually watch the Pre demo's there is no doubting that they've improved on what the iPhone does 10 fold.

6. hondje macrumors member

at least a search function for the Mail app. This would be so helpful!

7. gjw4u macrumors 6502

OP, wish away, just think how long people have been waiting for the copy & paste functionality...

8. Manatee thread starter macrumors 6502

Manatee

I know. All these things have been on my list since the first week of the original iPhone. These are also features that Windows Mobile platform has had for years. Even early Palm devices supported user file management and 3rd party business-oriented apps better than the iPhone does today.

Apple has done some things incredibly well with the iPhone, but they seem to have a "blind spot" when it comes to making the platform useful as a personal computer -- rather than just a multimedia/gaming device.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Care to explain?

10. jclardy macrumors 68030

jclardy

In some cases yes, but the Pre does not have an SDK that can access the hardware, and they said that it won't when it is released. This limits the apps that can be made to only widget style components. Getting developers on a Web/scripting language platform will be difficult and limit the availability of useful apps. Combine that with the fact that iPhone developers are also developing for the iPod Touch which has sold phenomenally. Of course the iPhone didn't have the App Store until last year, but even so you have to compare the Pre to what is available now, not what came out 2 years ago.

I'm not saying the Pre won't be a good phone, I'm just saying that it won't have the same market share that the iPhone has earned. Also it currently is only coming to one CDMA carrier, Sprint, which currently contains it to the US only. I'm sure Palm will create a GSM version at some point though.