Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Just wondering if anyone else has bought a Fuze case for the 7 that has the 3.5mm jack built into it and their experiences with it?

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Just wondering if anyone else has bought a Fuze case for the 7 that has the 3.5mm jack built into it and their experiences with it?

I'd like to hear from others too but I think you already know the answer. The battery appears to work. The headphone jack does too, for headphones. You can charge through the Lightning port, but that's it. Sync doesn't work and neither do Lightning headphones. What else doesn't work properly? Don't ask me. I didn't pay them to be a sub beta tester.

Obviously, Fuze rushed the case to the market sans sufficient testing...at least I hope so, because the alternative would be that they knew the issues existed. How could they not know sync was not functional? They're having a fire sale now on remaining stock. As is, the case is a huge fail, and for those of us who paid higher prices, ripoff territory. They say they will ship free replacements when they get one working that is Mfi certified, but in reality, that is more like an if, than a when.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
I appreciate the response. I was not sure if my case was the only one as I cannot get a response from the company. I had searched online for reviews from other Fuze case owners but could not find anything. I still think it is a great idea if they can work out the bugs.

916Kev

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Hi,

I don't recommend picking up the Fuze case. There are many reasons why I think you should wait for the upgraded model (more on that later) or skip it entirely and find something else. For example, the sides of the case don't sit flush to the phone. If I squeeze the sides of the case (an inch below the rocker) it'll turn the volume down. Also, I can't access the ringer/vibrate toggle because it's so recessed in there. For me, the charging works fine and I have no problems plugging in a random set of headphones in the aux jack. I have read from other people that the battery case will not hold a charge or only certain type of headphones will work. Charging the case itself from 0%-100% takes about an hour or two. It charges my phone from around 10% up to 80% before it kicks the bucket. I haven't had any problems in that department.

The company has announced they are coming out with a new model that will have MFi certification (original backers get the new one for free). The new model will supposedly address a lot of the problems people are having. I feel the case is a great product in theory but fumbled in the red zone on execution. I requested a refund but haven't gotten a response from them yet (it's only been a few days). Fingers crossed...

More info can be found here:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...ck-the-audio-jack-iphone-headphones#/comments

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Wow! Wish I had read those posts before I bought it. The company supposedly will send out another batch in March so we shall see. I find their lack of a response though to be disturbing. Yeah I would not recommend buying this case right now.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Wow! Wish I had read those posts before I bought it. The company supposedly will send out another batch in March so we shall see. I find their lack of a response though to be disturbing. Yeah I would not recommend buying this case right now.

If you really want to press for a refund, the principals' contact info beyond the Fuze website is pretty easily found. Judging from the comments via that link, I'm not expecting the replacement, and even if it arrives, I'll be shocked (maybe literally) if it solves all of the issues I didn't know about since I didn't even keep the case on for longer than it took to see that it was far from being as advertised/expected. If they don't make it right, that venture may not survive. The FTC is taking great interest in crowd funding and already tagged one Kickstarter project for over 100 grand under the Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act. Practically speaking, it isn't worth my time to do what it takes to get a refund from a non-responsive seller, but those who think there's no legal recourse solely because it was a crowd funding project are wrong.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
I found another case with a 3.5mm jack on amazon from Highever. It uses Bluetooth to transmit to your phone so you can use headphones. It does beg the question though if one is going to do that why not just use wireless headphones but it does give me options. I still have my Fuze case but it has been relegated to my dresser drawer. I still think there is a niche market out there for a true case with a 3.5mm jack for those like me who prefer wired headphones or use an AUX jack in their cars. I also do have the dongle though I hate that word :)
[doublepost=1486364774][/doublepost]
If you really want to press for a refund, the principals' contact info beyond the Fuze website is pretty easily found. Judging from the comments via that link, I'm not expecting the replacement, and even if it arrives, I'll be shocked (maybe literally) if it solves all of the issues I didn't know about since I didn't even keep the case on for longer than it took to see that it was far from being as advertised/expected. If they don't make it right, that venture may not survive. The FTC is taking great interest in crowd funding and already tagged one Kickstarter project for over 100 grand under the Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act. Practically speaking, it isn't worth my time to do what it takes to get a refund from a non-responsive seller, but those who think there's no legal recourse solely because it was a crowd funding project are wrong.

I agree with you. I have just chalked it up to live and learn. It does work okay as a case and the battery function worked okay. The jack works half the time but sometimes I have to take the phone out and then replace it to make it work. Anyways since my Atlanta Falcons just blew the biggest lead in Super Bowl history to lose I figure I have bigger fish to fry.

nevermalchik

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2017
Montreal
I acquired a Fuze case several weeks ago. I love the product, it is very useful to be able to recharge the phone at anytime, without power outlet, moreover the jack plug is great. Downside of it, sometimes (a bit too often for my taste) the phone does not react when to power is connected, i must remove the casing frame, pull out the Fuze battery, replug it, place the frame back and then the charge will occur. By removing and replacing the thin plastic frame, it broke right under the lower volume button :( I wrote to the company to let them know and ask if it is possible to buy only the frame (not holding my breath on that one).

nevermalchik

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2017
Montreal
Sadly, the company answered back with one line: We do not sell the pieces separately. This is not a good customer service, they want me to spend to buy a brand new kit. they lost a client.

Reactions: Melrose

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Sadly, the company answered back with one line: We do not sell the pieces separately. This is not a good customer service, they want me to spend to buy a brand new kit. they lost a client.

That's something I'm a stickler for as well. Thanks for the heads up, I'll look elsewhere as well. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.