iPad Pro Fuzzy home screen icons

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ps3zocker, Dec 19, 2015.

1. ps3zocker macrumors regular

Is it just me or do the home screen icons on iPad Pro look extremely fuzzy? I especially notice it with the Reminders icon or Messages, and also the Music app. They look nice and sharp on my iPad Air. I already updated to iOS 9.2...

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

3. ps3zocker, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015

ps3zocker thread starter macrumors regular

It's not really noticeable on screenshots. When I compare screenshots from iPad Pro and iPad Air, they look basically the same. It's seeable zoomed-in. On the device itself it's clearly noticeable (only on app icons), text and other icons are crisp and clear. You notice it slightly when looking at it from a normal distance and very strongly when looking a little closer. It's not like that on my iPad Air. You can see a little bit of it on this screenshot. Left is iPad Air, right is iPad Pro. The lines in the Reminders icon and Maps icon are more fuzzy on iPad Pro...

It looks like they are scaled up from iPad Air icon size (152 x 152) to iPad Pro size (167 x 167). They are crisp in share sheets as well.

Attached Files:

4. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

Looks like Apple forgot to make some of the 167x167 icons for the iPad Pro, so iOS falls back to the next available size and scales up (152x152). No doubt they'll fix it in an update soon.

They did the same thing on the 6 Plus for a while, not just for app icons but for some system assets as well, though it wasn't really noticeable due to the high display resolution and software scaling.

5. ps3zocker, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015

ps3zocker thread starter macrumors regular

I just took a look at the simulator files and it seems that they really forgot to add the bigger icons for iPad Pro. Even developers couldn't use them for their apps, as they only added support for it in the last Xcode update which was released on December 8. So there's hope, that they don't forget about this. Photo Booth for example is not even optimized for iPad Pro and is just a scaled up 9.7-inch app. Just like the Apple Store app and Garageband, as well.

Share Sheet icons are still 152 x 152, that's why they are not pixelated.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

?
    My Photo Booth icon looks perfectly sharp. Same with GarageBand and the App Store icon.

7. ps3zocker thread starter macrumors regular

Mhm, actually they can't look sharp as they don't have the correct icons inside them. For example, the Apple Store app. It has icons for 76 x 76px (iPad mini + Air). iPad Pro icons are 83.5 83.5 px and those are not inside any of the system apps or most third party apps.

Then, if you look at an app like ProCreate, they have the correct icon sizes and their icon looks sharp.

Attached Files: