Fuzzy iPhone 6 Camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lienhart, Sep 22, 2014.

1. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

Is anyone else having this problem?? I feel like my 5S took better pictures than my 6 does! For example in this picture below, I took a picture of a cup in pretty decent lighting and zoomed in. What's with all the noise and smudged color? Is there something wrong with my camera? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. Rogo117 macrumors regular

If you still have your 5s, can you try to take a picture of it?

Here's a semi-low light I just took with mine.
    ipic.jpg

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yes, unfortunately lots of people are seeing it. It's not the camera, it's that Apple has for some awful reason decided to crank up noise reduction processing to a high level to eliminate grain. But it produces this crap look you are seeing instead. I would rather have the grain and then let me decide how much of it I want to eliminate with NR. Terrible decision, for me it completely ruins the iPhone 6 camera, I hope they reconsider.

4. lienhart thread starter macrumors 6502

lienhart

Here's about the same picture with my 5S.

I hope this can maybe be fixed by an iOS update, in low-lighting they look like crap :confused:

Attached Files:

5. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yes, I've noticed this as well! Took a bunch of pictures tonight of the family out for a walk and they looked good on the phone screen. Was just looking at them on my iPad tonight and they look terrible. Totally over-processed!

This may actually be a deal breaker for me to go back to my 5s!!

7. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

A few years ago canon started doing this with their point and shoots and it really pissed me off. I'll only use raw pics now

8. Entertheraptor macrumors newbie

Same issue here. Fuzzy low light pictures on a brand new iPhone 6. What do you think the chances are that this will be corrected with a software update?

9. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

I doubt we see a fix. Apple is notorious for leaving things that they feel are right, just look at Apple maps...it's been out of sight out of mind for how long now, and it sucks how bad?

I've taken a good amount of pics the last few days and can honestly say I find my self reaching for my other phone (2nd line personal device) which just happens to be an HTC One M8. What happen to Apple catching up with other phone manufacturers with what they are doing these days? Right now I feel like I took 2 steps back from my 5s...uhhhh, not a good feeling.

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I took a few more comparison pictures this morning with my 5s and, well, now I'm not convinced. The pictures I was looking at from the 6 yesterday were probably very challenging conditions - excellent lighting but huge depth of field and dynamic range. (Outdoor scene with people lots of trees and bushes and fall foliage). I took some more of the same area this morning with the 5s and while the lighting wasn't the same, the results were clearly even worse than on the 6. It may be that this is a bit of a case where some parts of the 6's photos are so good that the bad parts stand out all that much more clearly.

Also, I'd say if anything from the pictures I took yesterday with the 6 is that it leans towards a bit of overexposure if you point and shoot which makes these flaws all the more visible.

11. jaypr macrumors member

12. matthewadams macrumors regular

This could be an issue with digital image stabilisation? just a guess, but if you use Photoshop to e.g. stabilise an image in post-processing it results in quite similar artefacts

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Same problem here. In lower light Aplle is applying way too much noise reduction to prevent noise artifacts from showing up.

I would rather have a little noise than mushy images. Hopefully Apple will crank it back or at least give US control over the noise reduction.

14. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Same issues here with my 6 Plus, has anyone done a swap yet? Please see my thread below.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1792938

15. dave1145 macrumors newbie

dave1145

I don't have an iphone6 yet but.. are there not any 3rd party apps that can be used to take photos without the "noise reduction processing" ? Camera apps that have different settings?

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

There are a few with more on the way.

ManualCam is what I am trying now but I hear that there are some more on the way that can control every parameter of you camera!

Do not bother swapping phones as it is Apple software that is providing the "mush" in their images.

17. anthonybkny macrumors 6502

anthonybkny

Zoomed in always looks crappy. Try without zoom. Poor musician blaming the instrument.

18. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Do you even have an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus? The photos are clearly not zoomed, can you explain why some of my non zoomed or cropped or edited photos are fuzzy?

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for your insight.

19. anthonybkny macrumors 6502

anthonybkny

i have a 6, and if you read the ops post, he says he zoomed in genius.

20. 9to5Slavery macrumors newbie

21. SevengerNC macrumors regular

SevengerNC

This is totally unacceptable. I didn't have any cam problems till just recently - honestly can't remember if it might have been the recent update, but the picture quality makes them worthless.
    What are the alternatives? Any free apps? I'll even pay a few dollars if I have to, but will it do any good?
    My wife's S3 beats the heck out of my 6+.
    Thx

22. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Went to iPhone 6 from the Galaxy S4. I am generally pleased with the iPhone 6 camera but it likes to use this image processing to screw up what could have been some of my best shots...

I still prefer this camera though. The Galaxy S4 had extreme sharpness and color, but it was WAY TOO extreme in my opinion. Shots were full of grain and colors were just blown out because they were too saturated. Grass became like lime green, almost yellowy, outdoor shots of a large scene were like sand paper, and the slightest amount of darkness crippled the thing and made every shot a disaster.

Anyway, onto the iPhone 6. It does indeed over-soften things, the opposite problem the Galaxy S4 had in my opinion. I took some pictures of some cracked ice and some snow-covered gravel and the crackes looked like... I don't even know how to describe it. They weren't sharp cracks, rather soft looking tears in fabric or something. Was pretty disappointed. I'm not sure if the translucency of the ice caused issues when trying to focus, but under the good conditions at that time, I was pretty disappointed.

Attached Files:

23. SevengerNC macrumors regular

SevengerNC

Update - I went to the local Verizon store today, and the guy was nice enough to check it out, call tech support, they sent me an email telling me exactly how to connect to iTunes, do a restore and see if that corrects the problem.
    Nope .
    But, they're shipping me a new 6+ (probably one returned within 14 days by someone) so I'm pleased. I still don't have a clue as to why it started happening all of a sudden, but it will work out in the long run.

24. nash123456 macrumors newbie