Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Belgium
I bought a Philips 298P4QJEB 29 inch AH-IPS LED P-Line Display a few months ago and now it displays fuzzy text (see attached JPEG). ***** Interesting, just viewed the jpeg on my Apple ACD and it doesn't appear fuzzy at all.

I have tried it on various drives on my Mac Pro and the Windows drive and with the same results. :mad:

Any idea of what is wrong and how to fix it?

Attachments

• Fuzzy.jpg
    Fuzzy.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if you did a screen shot in OSX then it won't be fuzzy, the source is clear, the monitor is what's making it fuzzy. you would have to take a picture of the screen with a camera

tried it on various drives?? a JPEG is the same, no matter where it's stored.

go into display settings, try playing with the resolution, and the refresh rate.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I bought a Philips 298P4QJEB 29 inch AH-IPS LED P-Line Display a few months ago and now it displays fuzzy text (see attached JPEG). ***** Interesting, just viewed the jpeg on my Apple ACD and it doesn't appear fuzzy at all.

I have tried it on various drives on my Mac Pro and the Windows drive and with the same results. :mad:

Any idea of what is wrong and how to fix it?

What are you using to connect to the display? What type of cable?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Be sure that your computer is set to the same screen resolution as the native screen resolution of the new monitor (2560 x 1080), otherwise the display may appear very fuzzy. This should happen automatically, but sometimes 3rd party monitors don't report correctly.

Also, what interface are you using to drive the monitor (cable type). Some interfaces limit the screen resolution to 1900 x 1200 which would not look so good on your monitor. Do you have a dual DVI interface available on your video card along with the proper cable?

Wow ... that is one W I D E display monitor!

Last edited:

Avro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Belgium
I am using a DVI to DVI cable. The monitor has been working fine since I bought it 3 months ago. The problem has just arisen. I do get a prompt saying that the monitor should be set for 2560 X 1080, but Systems Preferences for Displays says that it is set for that resolution. The prompt text isn't fuzzy. The refresh rate is at 60 Hz, but greyed out.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I am using a DVI to DVI cable. The monitor has been working fine since I bought it 3 months ago. The problem has just arisen. I do get a prompt saying that the monitor should be set for 2560 X 1080, but Systems Preferences for Displays says that it is set for that resolution. The prompt text isn't fuzzy. The refresh rate is at 60 Hz, but greyed out.

If this is a nMP, then the Thunderbolt to DVI adapter could be going. Try a different port on the video card if that is an option.

Avro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Belgium
Check that and also see if you can try a different monitor and cable too for testing purposes.

Same result on the other DVI slot, but I tested the monitor with an HDMI cable on an ACER laptop running Windows 8 (inherited from a colleague, only used it to install Windows 8 and I have never turned it on again). Set up was a pain, but it runs well with no fuzziness. On examination the DVI Cable seems to be heat damaged (not sure how it got that way) , so I will replace it tomorrow and I suspect that will fix the problem.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Same result on the other DVI slot, but I tested the monitor with an HDMI cable on an ACER laptop running Windows 8 (inherited from a colleague, only used it to install Windows 8 and I have never turned it on again). Set up was a pain, but it runs well with no fuzziness. On examination the DVI Cable seems to be heat damaged (not sure how it got that way) , so I will replace it tomorrow and I suspect that will fix the problem.

One can hope that is all that is the problem. It is possible the heat damage came from the exhaust fans on the Pro or even your HVAC vents you have in your walls or floors if it was near that.

Avro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Belgium
Well the new DVI cable didn't improve the situation. I have been in touch with Philips and they are happy to replace the monitor. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.