"Fuzzy" photos when saved from web or e-mail

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thelumpya2, Nov 24, 2008.

1. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

I beleive this may be a result of the 2.2 update..

Here are some screencaps showing the issue.

First one, this is a photo that I have hosted on the web that I took with my DLSR, I saved it to my phone via the touch and hold saving process, early on in my phones existance as you can see from the 60 of 600something, and it appears nice and clear(aside from the slight compression from e-mailing myself a screencap)
    [​IMG]

now here is a screencap of me visiting the hosted photo on safari today.. it also appears nice and clear
    [​IMG]

I held my finger on the photo, and have now been prompted to save (still clear)
    [​IMG]

and now here is a screencap of the photo I just saved in my photo library. It is obviously blurry... now all photos will do this for a split second while they load, but its as if its not fully loading the file when I view it.
    [​IMG]

This does not happen with every photo, only certain ones. It has also happened with photos that have been e-mailed to me and I have then saved.

I asked a coworker of mine who also has an iphone 3g to visit the URL of the above photo and see what happens to him and he is having the same experience.. if anybody else would like to try, here is the URL

http://randy.mainevwscene.com/images/mycar5.jpg

2. Frozen001 macrumors newbie

3. thelumpya2 thread starter macrumors regular

thelumpya2

interesting.. and clearly it wasn't doing this before, becuase I saved it to my phone a few months ago when I first got it, and that picture still shows up clear as indicated by the first screencap..

4. kameko macrumors member

5. thelumpya2 thread starter macrumors regular

thelumpya2

Odd, I called apple earlier about this issue and they acted like they hadn't heard of it, tried to get me to restore my phone over and over and I kept explaining that it was an issue across the board with all other iphone owners i've tried..

Other things I did just to double check the issue..

1.hosted photo at photobucket to see if it was an issue with my host.. nope.. same fuzzyness

2.saved other photos that were larger file sizes just to see if something about the file size was causing it to compress more, nope.. crystal clear..

For some people this is probably not a big issue, but I'm a professional automotive photographer for a few magazines and Its crucial for me to be able to have my high quality photos in the palm of my hand..

6. thelumpya2 thread starter macrumors regular

thelumpya2

I'm pretty sure I've figured out the chriteria that causes the blurry photos... I have no idea why however..

it is without a doubt related to the photos resolution... any photo that is of the resolution 800x533 or vertically 533x800 is having this blurry effect..

I found a random photo on google image search with a resolution of 800x533 of a lambo.. I saved it to my phone, and here's a screencap of the photo saved to my phone.
    [​IMG]

I then saved that photo to my computer, opened up photoshop and changed the resolution from 800x533 to 798x532 (constraining porportions) and then hosted the photo on my website.. Then I visted the hosted photo's URL on my iphone with safari and saved this image (798x532).. Here is a screencap.. you can see the difference clearly..
    [​IMG]

7. vtjonny macrumors newbie

ipod touch owner here....

I had a 1st gen ipod touch and photos downloaded like they should, up through 2.1

then my special lady gave me a 2g, with 2.1.1, and I immediately saw the downloaded photos were blurry there (I'm also a photographer). I called Apple, I visited the genius, and everyone denied that this was a bug even though I could demonstrate the issue in the store. I checked all the other devices in the store, and all the 2g ipod touches had the glitch while all the iphones were fine. I had hoped that Apple would fix this in 2.2; I'm a little bummed that they actually made it worse by affecting iphone owners too. I looks to me like the device is calling up the image thumbnail rather than the image itself, but I'm no software programmer.

I'm guessing that it will get fixed now that more people see it though, so we can look forward to that at least. Its pretty disappointing when the only updates amount to a dedicated button that brings me back to my first page of apps.

8. thelumpya2 thread starter macrumors regular

thelumpya2

I certainly hope it will get fixed, there are alot of really stupid things that seem to have happened with the 2.2 update... alot of previously happy customers are now unhappy..

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Hmmmmm. I have one of those photo editor apps (Camera Bag, to be exact) and when I edit a perfectly clear photo, the result is a blurry photo. And all I am doing is making a color photo B&W. This shouldn't change the resolution. So, this bug likely is not just affecting saved e-mail photos, but is much larger in scale.

10. thelumpya2 thread starter macrumors regular

thelumpya2

I'm willing to be you have the resolution set to 800 within that app though... (by using the little "i" icon in the lower right corner)

if you use the 1962 camera (b&w) and you have the resolution set to 800.. then its becoming a 800x whatever resolution photo.. in turn causing it to be blurry..

I just tried that with one of my photos (taken with iphone cam) and it did in fact go blurry..

when I set the resolution to 1200, the photo doesn't even show up in my ablum after saving..

and when I set the resolution to 600.. the result is a crystal clear b&w photo..

its all related to the 800x whatever resolution size.. whether it seems it or not.

11. thelumpya2 thread starter macrumors regular

thelumpya2

so after doing more research.. I have concluded that it doesn't matter what the smaller side resolution is... if one side of the photo.. (vertical or horizontal) is 800 pixels wide... then it will show up blurry in your photo album..

800 x anything

or

anything x 800

wonder why though..

Also, if I e-mail one of the "fuzzy" photos to myself and check it on my computer... it appears to be only thumbnail sized..

so for some reason the 800 pixel causes the iphone to revert the photo to a thumbnail.. which is why it looks blurry when you zoom in.. becuase it's resized it automatically..

12. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

13. Master Debater macrumors member

I have a (pretty cumbersome) workaround for this pretty major bug. First, download "Scribble" (by Zintin) from the App store. This is a drawing app where you can also import pictures to draw over. Make sure you have the fuzzy photos in your iPhone/iPod and run Scribble. Press the "Photo" button at the bottom of the screen.

This will take you to your photo library, where you can locate and select the fuzzy picture. When imported, you will notice it is no longer fuzzy. Just press the "Save" button at the bottom-right of the screen, and it will be saved in the photo library, crystal-clear.

NOTE: If the picture is in landscape, there will be a white background and if you view that picture in Photos it will still be there.

14. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

this happen to AirMe app, i never have this problem before 2.2 hope apple fix this quick.

15. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

great workaround, but seriously, where is apple's update on this?!

16. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

It's a finder problem. The file named "com.apple.finder.plist" is corrupt. Go to your library files that are hidden, and under preferences, you will need to locate the com.apple.finder.plist file and move to your desktop and reboot, it will remake the file and then you can delete the plist file that you just moved to the desktop area. That should take care of your problem.
    P.S. You will need to reset your finder preferences up as it will reset them to default. But that is not a big deal.

17. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Did you realize that you were responding to a thread whose most recent post was almost 5.5 years ago? :eek:

18. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Yes I seen that. My eyes do work. Anyway it still applies to current situations if you get into that type of situation again. Make note of it. Who knows maybe someone out there will benefit from it.;)

19. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Fair enough. :) Sometimes old, dead threads are revived and the info added doesn't apply because so much time has passed and the original situation has become irrelevant.