"Fuzzy" sound on late 08 MBP in vista

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by threegunvash, Jan 1, 2009.

1. threegunvash macrumors newbie

Hello all, I've been a longtime lurker here, first time poster.

I've had a late 08 MBP for a couple of months now, had Vista business 32 on it, wiped that partition out and now am running Home Premium 64 (both solely for gaming. I'm playing Sins of a Solar Empire and Left 4 Dead mostly).

Recently I started noticing that the sound has a tendency to "go fuzzy" randomly, and its occurring more and more frequently. What I mean is, the sound will be fine, but then I'll get a burst of very static-y sound. Its particularly bad in Sins, but its started happening in L4D too now. This happens on both the onboard speakers and the nice pair of JVC headphones I use.

Hope somebody can help me with this problem, it seems to be a sound driver issue but I'm not sure what drivers to download that would fix this. I started noticing it when I started playing Sins but now in hindsight I think it would do it in the L4D menu as well(and now it occurs in-game too). Today it finally started doing that while I was watching youtube and figured enough is enough.

Also, the sound is perfect, crystal clear when I'm running in OSX (the overwhelming majority of the time, again, I only suffer through vista for gaming).

Thanks a bunch for the help.

tl;dr: I get weird bursts of static-y sound while running Vista Home Premium 64 on my late 08 MBP. Seems to be a driver issue, help greatly appreciated.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm, it does sound like a sound driver issue. Have you tried reinstalling the Boot Camp drivers from your MBP's DVD?