Fuzzy Text in PDF From Indesign

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by plumpan, May 23, 2008.

1. plumpan macrumors regular

I just created a page layout in Indesign CS3 containing both white text over a black background and black text over a white background. The fonts I used are Adobe Garamond Pro and Times. When I export the file to PDF (1.7), and open it up in Preview, all the text appears slightly bolded. When I open the file in Acrobat, it appears as it does in Indesign.

Is there a way to make it appear as it should in both Preview and Acrobat Reader, or is this an issue with how Preview renders fonts?

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I think there is a difference as to how each render a PDF. Preview seems to "flatten" the page as if it were a jpg or something while Acrobat seems to view it as vector graphics thus making it appear much more crisp.

3. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

preview uses apples font smoothing settings.... Just like safari does.

-be

4. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

There's an "Anti-alias Text & Line Art" option in Preview's preferences under the PDF tab. It appears to be on by default - does turning it off make any difference?

Cheers!

Jim

5. plumpan thread starter macrumors regular

turning that option off makes the text very jagged (and in turn slightly less bolded), but still does not make the display of the characters accurate to the way the font should look.

does preview support embedded fonts like acrobat?

6. pujapuri macrumors newbie

Preview uses mostly the Quartz composing engine for PDF's and renders them completely different from how Acrobat does.

Ideally you don't notice a difference, except when you make use of typefaces. We extensively use types in a lot of our design so Adobe Reader is usually used for presentations etc.