Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
My photo library got too big need to get a external firwire 800 with at least 1tb space...anyone have a recommendation? Was going to get Thunderbolt but seems very expensive. Just looking for a one drive unit, something that is reliable and plays well leaving on all the time, sleeps when not in use etc. was thinking Western Digital Studio, any opinions?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Get a NAS such as the type Synology makes. Does much much more than a simple external drive.

How are you planning to backup all your photos? Drives eventually crash.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Get a NAS such as the type Synology makes. Does much much more than a simple external drive.

While I am generally a big NAS advocate, I don't generally recommend them for use with iPhoto, presuming that that is what the OP is using.

B

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
My photo library got too big need to get a external firwire 800 with at least 1tb space...anyone have a recommendation? Was going to get Thunderbolt but seems very expensive. Just looking for a one drive unit, something that is reliable and plays well leaving on all the time, sleeps when not in use etc. was thinking Western Digital Studio, any opinions?

I have the WD 3TB FW800 drive. It's lightning fast, no complaints.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I've been buying Seagate GoFlex portable, and GoFlex desk drives. They support multiple interfaces... so you can choose USB 2.0, USB 3.0, FW800 or Thunderbolt. You can choose what you want now, and still change your mind later if you need a different interface... or when TB gets less expensive.

I am currently using a combination of FW800 on my 2009 iMac, and TB on my MBA. The same drives work on either. Once I replace my iMac with a new model, then I will likely only use TB across the board. The difference is speed is immediately obvious.

/Jim

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)

I needed a bus-powered drive so I got the WD My Passport Studio 1 TB FireWire 800, currently $160. I've given it quite a workout over the past month using both FW800 and USB 2 interfaces, and it's been great. It has been nice to have it bus-powered, but for may uses that's not important...

For the same $160 you could get more space with the desktop WD My Book Studio 2 TB FireWire 800

or you could spend only $130 for the 1 TB version: WD My Book Studio 1 TB FireWire 800.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Thanks, I did try the NAS Synology route but did not work out very well...I have other externals hooked up via USB to do backup from time to time but wanted something fast and stable that could be the always on storage for photos and music. The back ups I do to multiple drives with a Thermaltake BlacX but I don't keep that on all the time and its slow. I like the idea of a NAS but I really don't use media on other network machines and when I want I can just turn on the iMac and stream via it with a shared drive access.

Do the WD models have any fans for cooling, is it really necessary with a single drive?

Anyone try the Thunderbolt WD models yet?

Edit: Just saw the Mercury Elite Pro mini SSD, maybe this would be a good choice to pair with iMac. I have about 99GB of pictures and videos and about another 80GB of music, maybe SSD is way to go, anyone using the Elite Pro mini with SSD? The 480GB is $699, any thoughts?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.