FW Video Capture device w/ component input

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by statikcat, Aug 2, 2007.

1. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

Hi I have a few questions if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

I am looking for a FW device with component input to record video onto my Mac. Basically, my LCD TV has component OUT and I would like to be able to record shows, PS3, etc to my computer.

If I get this device what is the maximum resolution I can record to my Mac? I am pretty sure component supports 1080p which is 1920x1050. Would this product compress the video as it records it to my computer? If so how? Would I have an option to record uncompressed? (Yes I realize this may require a raid and faster drives).

Thanks.. I am new to this kind of thing so maybe these questions seem silly :D

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Hopefully someone else can chime in w/better news but I don't know of any inexpensive device (something that costs less than a few grand) that will do what you are asking. Standard def analog-to-firewire converters are pretty cheap ($300 and up) but the HD converters I know of are still pretty pricey.

Lethal

3. statikcat thread starter macrumors 6502

statikcat

What is being converted? It is digital to digital? Shouldnt adc and dac cost more ?

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

the signal going over component cables is analog, not digital... if you were capturing a digital signal, it would have to be over DVI or HDMI.

as for compression, the cheaper boxes compress the video through the hardware. to get uncompressed, you'll need one of the very expensive capture systems.

5. statikcat thread starter macrumors 6502

statikcat

Ok that makes a lot more sense.. I for some reason was not thinking of component as analog but I guess it makes sense that it is. Thanks