FW400 to USB adapter for 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Habitus, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Hey all,

Just purchased a 1st gen 10GB iPod! However, I just realized that I don't have the required FW400 port; I have a 13" MBP. Does anyone know of a solution (i.e., does a FW400 to USB adapter exist?)? Let me know!

-Habitus

2. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

You can get a FW800 to FW400 cable. There is and never will be anything that converts USB to FW. Two completely different protocols...

Just do a google for a cord...

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is no solution. That iPod requires Firewire, you cannot add it to your Mac and you cannot convert USB to Firewire. You need to either buy a new Mac, sell the iPod or find someone else to charge/sync it for you.

4. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Really? Look at the attached pic. 13" MBP. FW800. Get the facts before you start posting crap. :mad:

@OP, ignore the ignorant bull.

Attached Files:

5. Alte22a macrumors 6502

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sorry, not had my coffee yet this morning. You are entirely correct. I was thinking about the older "classic" unibody MacBook.

7. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

probably the best solution as long as OP has a FW400 cable

Ah, gotcha, sorry to be a bit rude, just hate when people give false info, all is well now :)

8. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Thanks all! Just purchased the 1st gen 10GB iPod and will purchase the adapter. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Habitus

9. JacaByte macrumors 6502

I'm surprised nobody has suggested Monoprice. I suppose it's because they have no 9-pin firewire to iPod connectors, but neither does Apple for that matter, something I think is ironic because all their computers have FireWire 800.

I still think Monoprice is relevant to the discussion because if you ever find yourself in a place where you need to use a video camera or external firewire harddrive with you MacBook Pro, you can buy a 6 ft 9-4 pin cable and a 6 ft 9-6 pin cable for less than that Sonnet adapter. It's one of those things that when you need it, you really need it.

The reason why USB to FireWire adapters don't exist is because they use different methods of transferring data, not because of inter-corporate bigotry; USB transfers data in packets, in much the same way that DB-9 serial devices do, and in the way that (more modern) networking protocols and DisplayPort protocols transfer data. FireWire/IEEE 1394/i.Link transfers data sequentially; it does not use packets, and streams data constantly between devices. This is why FireWire is often much faster than USB and is mainly used for devices that must transfer large amounts of data, and USB is used by Bluetooth adapters, IR receivers, etc. In fact, the IEEE 1394 standard supports a 3.2 Gbps transfer rate, given enough pins.

10. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Welcome to the discussion, you missed the point... http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10301&cs_id=1030105&p_id=331&seq=1&format=2

11. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus