FW800 Daisy-chaining question / FW800 Hubs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by occamsrazor, Dec 1, 2009.

1. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

I think I know the answer to this, but was hoping someone could confirm. I know you can daisy-chain various Firewire 800 devices, but do the middle devices need to be powered on for the end ones to work?

For example:

Mac Mini > FW800 > Hard Disk 1 > FW800 > Hard Disk 2

If HD2 is switched ON, but HD1 is switched off, will HD2 still mount on the Mac Mini?

If not, I guess the alternative is to buy a FW800 hub, but they're expensive and was hoping to avoid, unless someone can recommend a good one at reasonable price. I already have a FW400 hub, but that would ruin the speed benefits of FW800.

Thanks.....

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

That has worked on FW 400 for me, I don't have a FW 800 drive though. I even did it
    drive 1 --> drive 2 --> dvd burner
    and the dvd burner worked fine when d1 and d2 were off.

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I'd say that depends it on the devices you've got.

I've got two Iomega Ultramaxx drives daisy-chained on one FW800 port on my Pro and the second drive does not power up unless the first one is switched on.

So my recommendation:
    Buy your drives, test if they run independently, if not, buy a hub.

4. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Generally no, the devices in between must be powered on. I've had 4 different model OWC FW devices and none pass power. My Maxtor external hard drives pass power.

5. jeffzoom91 macrumors regular

jeffzoom91

I have two seagate FW800 drives, the first being a 3.5'' 1tb drive, and the second (plugged into the first) being a fw800 2.5' drive. These drives don't have physical switches, but if not accessed for a while, the larger drive's lights will go dark and it will sleep, and I can still access the smaller drive without waking the larger drive...