Fw800 - Fw400

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nicholasandre, May 24, 2009.

1. nicholasandre macrumors newbie

Ok, so I'm about to purchase a 15" Mac book Pro. And I plan on using Final Cut Express to edit videos that I am making. The MacBookPro has a FW800 port. But here's the thing. The Camera I have and currently use for videos is an older Mini DV Panasonic camera that imports with a FW400 plug. Now I have seen online a few FW800 - FW400 adaptors, But i want to be sure before I purchase one. Is there any working Adapter like that, that has been tested and known to work? After my MacBookPro, I will be purchasing a Canon Vixia HFS10 which uses USB, but for the time being, I will be using my Panasonic.

All help is appreciated.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It will work fine, you just need the cable that has FW800 on one end and the 4-pin FW400 on the other.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Firewire will run at the speed of the slowest device on the chain. No "adapter" is needed just get a cable with the correct ends on it.

4. nicholasandre thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks so much guys.

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

And if you have a firewire 800 external hard disk (as is advisable with video editing, that is pro, with iMovie it's not really necessary) you can always link through (it has a special name I believe)

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Daisy Chain?