FW800 hub?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joeliethegoalie, May 10, 2009.

1. joeliethegoalie macrumors member

I have more firewire 800 devices than my MBP does jacks (even with daisy chaining). Can you recommend a FW800 hub?

Thanks.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. joeliethegoalie thread starter macrumors member

Yes, there are plenty of FW400 hubs. FW800 are a little harder to come by. Looks like Belkin used to make one, but it's discontinued.

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Just so you know, from apple.com:

Fire Wire can work with up to 63 devices on a bus.
    The number of bus-powered devices you can connect depends on the amount of power available from the computer, and the amount of power required by each device.

...and if the devices are designed according to the FireWire standard, they can be turned on and off as needed. For example, all devices don't need to be powered on to use the last device in the chain. For the best result, and to avoid overstressing the FireWire port, connect one FireWire device to the Macintosh, then add one device at a time to the chain. Avoid plugging in live power adapters into devices connected to the chain.

I chain 4 devices off my mini w/ no problem.

5. joeliethegoalie thread starter macrumors member

I understand that. The issue for me is that two of my FW800 drives have only one FW800 port, so they can't be chained.

Still looking for a good hub...

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Google found this one
    http://www.firewiredirect.com/store/product.php?printable=Y&productid=113

But you might be able to swap out the disk drive enclosure. OWC sells empty drive boxes with two FW800 ports. Maybe cheaper then a hub. Or get a multip drive enclosure and eliminate some cables at the same time