FW800 Port on 09 Mini - Underpowered?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JustGretchen, Apr 27, 2009.

1. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Anyone else trying to power a 2.5" external FW drive from their fw800 port on their 09 mini?

I have a high quality (MacAlley) FW400/USB2.0 enclosure with a 160gb drive in it that has worked just fine historically off FW400 port on my MBP.

This is the first time I am hooking it up with a 400>800 cable to an 800 port, the drive seemingly powers and spins up, but doesn't mount. Wondering if the mini's FW800 port doesn't put out enough juice.

FYI, I run a 1tb WD MyBook Studio Edition via FW800 on my mini and it works fine, but that drive has it's own power source since it's a 3.5" drive.

Any suggestions? I find this very odd that FW800 can't power & mount this drive but a FW400 port on my MacBook Pro can.

2. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok...so i rebooted my mini, not even a full shut down, just a reboot, and plugged the drive in and it showed right up. very strange.

I was even able to then daisy chain it off my 1tb from it's other FW800 port which is what I was trying to do in the first place.

This is all pretty strange.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I've had to reboot to get things recognized before myself
    I would say that probably isn't all that uncommon
    In fact, that would be the first step I would take to trouble shoot
    A good restart can take care of a lot of issues!

Glad it is now working for you!
    I know things like that can be frustrating!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I've had similar issues on my MBP with my LaCie FW800 drive. Maybe an OS bug?

5. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it was strange because when I first plugged in the drive, I plugged it directly to the 1tb drive, and it powered and spun up, but did not mount.

So I thought maybe I can't daisy chain it for some reason. So I unmounted the 1tb, and unplugged it, then plugged the other drive directly to the mini, and go nothing.

Oh well, seems to work now.