FW800 Soft RAID 0

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DeeEss, Oct 25, 2011.

1. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Would there be any write speed increase from creating a Software raid0 array from 2x FW800 external drives that have been daisy chained together from one FW800 port?

Just trying to create as much speed as possible with what I have.

Thanks in advance,

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

That depends on what the throughputs of the single drives are.

FW800 will give you ~80MB/s at best. Since recent drives top that, putting them in RAID0 via FW800 won't give you any speed increase.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What do you want to use speed for?

Development? Photoshop cache? Video?

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If your disk is 1 TB or large and particularly one of the faster WD Blacks or Samsung disks then you more than likely max out the FW800 bus with a single drive. I have a G-Raid Mini that has 2x 250 gig 2.5 disks in striped raid and through FW800 it's limited to around 70 MBps; through eSATA it's around 120 MBps.

5. DeeEss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone. Confirming what I thought.

I need a backup boot drive that will be fast enough to operate and keep up with a decent workload if need be for my Mac Pro and Macbook Pro.

I have a G-Tech Mini which I would just use and the write times are fine but for some reason my Mac Pro will boot from it but not my Macbook Pro. No matter what I try and I've exhausted all avenues on it.

So my next thought was to daisy chain 2 FW800 bus drives and create as much speed as I can from it but then I realised, of corse I only have 1 FW800 port on the MBP anyway.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

FW800 is good for ~100MB/s, which can be exceeded by some more recent disks (real world, not manufacturer's performance figures).

So running a stripe set off of a single FW800 port won't really do much for you (pair of Greens would run faster than a single Green, but not by a huge amount). Either way, if you need more speed, you'll want to attach the disks to SATA ports, then create a RAID.

BTW, make sure you have a good backup solution (needed with any drive configuration, but especially important with stripe sets since a single disk failure in the set = all data is gone).