FX4800 or GTX 285 for Maya and CS4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nxfxcom, Aug 8, 2009.

1. nxfxcom macrumors regular

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The Quadro only has optimised drivers for Windows, so the GTX is faster but with less memory.

You probably aren't going to find anyone with your exact usage, so your best bet would be to try the GTX 285 and if that still isn't up to scratch try the FX 4800.

3. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

If you're not satisfied with the 4870HD, you'll most likely need the Quadro.

The GTX285 will only be a step up in the same direction of the 4870HD, the Quadro is designed specifically for what you're doing.

It's all a matter of wether you can justify spending the money on it...

4. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks,

no i can not justify it, but i am trying to force myself to get a bit better everyday and study at least 3 hours a day. so each time i have a problem, or slow speed its really discouraging, so i try to get the smoothest setup ;)

Thanks

5. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

One more question, currently i have one Apple 30 inch, one of the new Display with the DP connector and one, samsung dvi something

My current Radeon card has a DP Port, but the NVIDIA 4800 does not, and i am sure a converter will drill down quality, i heard the 4800 only uses 1 power plug, what should i get as a secondary card, maybe with DP ?

Thanks

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There is no convertor to use the 24" ACD LED display on the Quadro anyway. You only have the choice of your current Radeon or the GT120 to run it.

Are you sure the Quadro is the right choice? The performance increases for professional 3D applications the Quadro cards provide are through optimised drivers that are not available under OSX. The GTX 285 has basically the same quality, so you are paying over $1,000 for 50% extra memory. In that case be sure the extra memory is going to improve performance. Contact your software vendors if needs be, but be clear you only want to know if more memory will help, not whether a Quadro will because the line they tend to toe is "Quadro for 3D".

It's really ideally for those that want a supported high end card in OSX and the Quadro performance when they use bootcamp.

7. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, i use mainly CS4 (PS Flash Etc) and Maya, so you saying under OSX i will not feel a difference between the 2 of them?

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's very unlikely you'd notice a difference. It's really just the extra video memory. The GTX has a slightly faster GPU as it is newer.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=748149 this thread and the article and comments it links to might give you a little insight on OSX and video memory (note: photoshop has issues with releasing memory apparently). Even then you could probably see better "performance" for your workflow by investing in other areas. Anything for SSD drives to a better chair to work in.

9. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for all the Input, i am hearing very different opinions,
    anybody here whoe actually uses maya / photoshop with the Quadro 4800?

I do not care about bootcamp, just OSX!

Thank you SOOOO much for all your help