Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

losackmd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
i purchased this adaptor from fxpansion and my VST's from Steinberg Virtual Guitar Electric and acoustic version, and Hypersonic will slow the operation of GB to a halt. They become unusable. GB will not function.

it is published by fxpansion on the net and on the CD cover that this adaptor
will work with GB WITH STEINBERG VST's.
unfortunately in my situation and i assume for the masses with GB and OSX.2.8 IT DOES NOT!

If you dont understand what i am talking about, VST's are plug ins that can be:
1- sounds like real guitars strumming guitars ,bass,piano etc etc etc
2- drum machines like Groove agent
3- Hypersonic- a very usuable synthesizer with thousands of sounds!
THESE GET CONVERTED TO AU'S and work as software instruments in GB.

I get as far as loading them into a song and then the whole system slows down to a crawl. Unusable
It will take minutes to do any action on the MAC.
I run a 1.8GHZ 2GBRAM G5 with no other apps running. Version 1.01 GB
on OSX.2.8
the company is not helping me fix this.

Hypersonic has no response as yet
It freezes GB.

it is a shame since these AU's make GB sound more fantastic and realistic
and opens the doors to so much more music than its present capability.
I am willing to have patience but tech support has told me to buy another VST
and sell Hypersonic. In other words, trash the Hypersonic and put my money on some other unknown and probably unworkable software.
Isnt this a shame?

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I couldnt find a reference to GB on fxpansion's website. Yes, they say the product will work with Steinberg AU's, and it does...I've used it with Groove Agent with no problem.

They list several hosts, including DP 4.1+ and Logic 6, which support the product, but nowhere do they say anything about GB. Perhaps you need to recognize that GB isnt the be-all and end-all of audio sequencers. If you want to do serious work, get a serious sequencer. Even Logic Express isnt that expensive, considering you've already spent $99 on the VST-AU adapter.

Caveat Emptor!

Mike

losackmd said:
i purchased this adaptor from fxpansion and my VST's from Steinberg Virtual Guitar Electric and acoustic version, and Hypersonic will slow the operation of GB to a halt. They become unusable. GB will not function.

it is published by fxpansion on the net and on the CD cover that this adaptor
will work with GB WITH STEINBERG VST's.
unfortunately in my situation and i assume for the masses with GB and OSX.2.8 IT DOES NOT!

If you dont understand what i am talking about, VST's are plug ins that can be:
1- sounds like real guitars strumming guitars ,bass,piano etc etc etc
2- drum machines like Groove agent
3- Hypersonic- a very usuable synthesizer with thousands of sounds!
THESE GET CONVERTED TO AU'S and work as software instruments in GB.

I get as far as loading them into a song and then the whole system slows down to a crawl. Unusable
It will take minutes to do any action on the MAC.
I run a 1.8GHZ 2GBRAM G5 with no other apps running. Version 1.01 GB
on OSX.2.8
the company is not helping me fix this.

Hypersonic has no response as yet
It freezes GB.

it is a shame since these AU's make GB sound more fantastic and realistic
and opens the doors to so much more music than its present capability.
I am willing to have patience but tech support has told me to buy another VST
and sell Hypersonic. In other words, trash the Hypersonic and put my money on some other unknown and probably unworkable software.
Isnt this a shame?

losackmd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
look

i am aware of the issues in your dogmatic lecture of what i should or not use
i have tons of experience using the best
this aint the issue

and dont lecture me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am in possession of the CD cover that came with the product and on that cover Garage Band is listed.

This isnt about asking for professional advice
this is about the company falsely advertising

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
Have you contacted Angus at fxpansion? I'll tell you right now that he's about as responsive a developer as you'll find, and there may already be an update on the website- don't know if you've checked for updates. Boxed CD's are not going to be current, and the VST-AU adapter gets regular and constant updates due to issues like the one you describe. Before you start flaming a small developer who produces a product that he has a proven track record of supporting, try talking to him. Send him your crash logs. I don't own the adapter, but I have kept up on it from the many discussions about the wrapper at osxaudio.com (I prefer supporting developers who write for the AU format, but was interested in the wrapper as a temporary fix for the lack of AU's a year or so ago). Every complaint or issue that I've seen has either been addressed through an impressively fast update, or can be explained by the many faults in the VST code, and the rampant lack of good documentation for the full code (thank you Steinberg). VST is a pretty faulty platform with nowhere near the level of documentation or standards the Apple has for AU's.

Just out of curiousity, not trying to tee you off, why are you using such high end plugins in GB? GB itself is such a processor hog that trying to use high end plugs (read processor intesnsive) could inherently bring a system down.

losackmd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
thank you

ANgus initially helped with the upgrade
this was 2 weeks ago
he then i think gave up on this conundrum with GB
told me to rid myself of HYPERSONIC and go out and buy SAMPLETANK

in other words go deal with APPLE and fix GB
i took it as go

spend more money on something that may not work either,

I love the ease of GB. I love the fact that eveything is there that i need leaving out the tons of features these other high end apps have that i dont need. I want it to become better and thought that if this adaptor worked it would enhance the quality of GB.

i took a chance spent some money which isnt the issue
the issue is that noone is helping me

im the fool

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.