FX's Rescue Me to End in 2011

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by John Doe 57, Aug 29, 2009.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

From eztv's writer; latifa:

The series finale will coincide with the 10-year anniversary of 9/11.

It's official: Rescue Me won't be saved.

Co-creator and executive producer Peter Tolan told TVGuide that the cast and crew would begin shooting the final 19 episodes in the next few weeks, but that the series finale would air in 2011 to correlate with the 10-year anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

"I think they're stretching the airing of it out until the 10th anniversary. So if you put 10 episodes on next year and nine the following year, you'll land there," Tolan said to TVGuide.

The 9/11 tribute makes sense, considering the show's focus on New York City firefighters and the aftermath of the attacks. But we can't help but wonder if there's something mysterious up FX's sleeve. The show has earned FX high ratings, creating a one-two punch with Nip/Tuck. But 2011 is also the end date for Nip/Tuck. What's going on here? What's the deal with 2011?

Granted, most TV shows tucker out after five or six seasons. Sometimes old fans simply get tired, and it's tough to attract new fans once a storyline is well-developed. Even though the show has a talented cast (Denis Leary, Andrea Roth, and John Scurti come to mind) and a brilliant script, it's gotta end sometime. Unfortunately, that time is in 2011.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I used to like this show but it just hasn't had it for the last 2 years, for me.

3. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

The 1st season was the most comical. The last 4 seasons have been more dramatic with better acting.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I haven't been a regular watcher since the 2nd season, but it is a GREAT show.

2011 sounds like a good timetable though, you don't want a show to end when its dragged on season after season beyond its prime.

From the episodes ive caught here and there lately, its still got it.

5. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I love Rescue Me. I actually went to the live comedy tour this year when they came to the Dallas area. If you think the show is funny, well seeing these guys do stand up is hysterical. When you see how they interact when they are not in front of the camera it makes you wonder how they ever get through a scene without cracking up. And the support for fire and rescue from Leary's charity is awesome. The local fireman were out for the show in force and they loved every second of it.

I think this season has been great. There really is no other show that takes on such serious/grave issues with such clever humor and writing. The characters are great. One of my favorite scenes of the year was the dinner party when they went to visit the daughter at her boarding school. Janet and Tommy trying to play nice and then going off on those wealthy sophisticates was hilarious. The fight between Tommy and Lou a few episodes ago was another great moment. They totally captured the way good guy friends relate to one another, fighting one minute and best pals the next. If you've never watched the show it's worth going back to catch up from the beginning.

As far as the end in 2011. Sounds good to me. I love the show, but best not to play it out or risk "jumping the shark." :)