Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
Sorry, I misunderstood some of the Bonjour questions. You do need to connect via http:// even in the finder. It's just
Code:
http://iPhone-name.local:8080
and that will work. The good thing is you can make an alias for the bonjour name, since that won't change unless you change the name of the iphone. The IP address could change if you use DHCP on your network

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Sorry, I misunderstood some of the Bonjour questions. You do need to connect via http:// even in the finder. It's just
Code:
http://iPhone-name.local:8080
and that will work. The good thing is you can make an alias for the bonjour name, since that won't change unless you change the name of the iphone. The IP address could change if you use DHCP on your network
That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

[Edit]If there's a space in the name of the device what charcters do you use?

Ex: QuarterSwede's iPhone

DenNukem

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Seattle
The app just hung when trying to display a big picture, and then phone rebooted. You got some memory leaks there, buddy. :mad:

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

[Edit]If there's a space in the name of the device what charcters do you use?

Ex: QuarterSwede's iPhone

Hmmm... Maybe try putting it in quotes? Or try %20 in place of the space? I don't know on that one

Edit: try a hyphen in place of the space

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Can't seem to be able to connect. I can go in safari and type in IP and I see the folders. However, how do I drop files in there? How do I use bonjour or finder to connect? When I type in IP to connect to server, it gives me an error???

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
Can't seem to be able to connect. I can go in safari and type in IP and I see the folders. However, how do I drop files in there? How do I use bonjour or finder to connect? When I type in IP to connect to server, it gives me an error???

If you browse to your iPhone's Air Sharing folders in Safari, you can only read the files, you cannot copy. In order to copy files to your iPhone, you have to use finder, windows explorer or another WebDAV client.

In Finder, use Go -> Connect to Server or use :apple:-K in a finder window

the address will be "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080" (the IP address given in Air Sharing) or "http://iPhone-name.local:8080. (the bonjour name of your Iphone) You need the http:// in front and :8080 at the end.

Hope that helps

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Thanks, but it's still not working and it's weird. check out the pic.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 76

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Let's hope Apple doesn't turn on the KILL SWITCH

This is great software, but let's hope 2.1 doesn't kill the app with the Apple's KILL SWITCH since using iPod touch or iPhone as storage device is not allowed by Apple, or at&t (if you have the iPhone)

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
I tried that but it didn't work. The app actually shows you the name of your Bonjour address but for me it says "unknown."

Mine showed that once. For me, if the iPhone's screen turned off, and I unlocked it and went into Air Sharing quickly, it seems to not pick up the wireless settings properly. If I exit out of Air Sharing, wait a few seconds, and then open it back up, it shows the correct IP and Bonjour address. But my iPhone doesn't have any spaces - maybe that could be it?

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
This is great software, but let's hope 2.1 doesn't kill the app with the Apple's KILL SWITCH since using iPod touch or iPhone as storage device is not allowed by Apple, or at&t (if you have the iPhone)

There are several apps that do this same thing. Datacase, Folders, Files, TouchFS. Most run a WebDAV server on the iPhone that you can connect to via a wireless connection. Some, like Datacase, can also use AFP and FTP. The trick is it must be done wirelessly - Apple doesn't currently allow for file access via the USB connection. Everything there has to go through iTunes. If they kill this one, they'd have to kill at least four other apps that have been out a while

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Thanks Saxman. A reboot didn't work, however, I did a little searching on apple's support. Here's the link for anyone who gets the same error I got.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1736

Apparently I had to delete a folder called "URLMount (from old Mac)" for it to work. Voila!

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I was browsing the settings and there's a setting for invisible files on/off. what is this? and I didn't know files can be invisible in mac.

bigrobb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2008
Tennessee
Just added to the App Store, and IMO this one looks promising.

Free for a limited time, too (regularly priced $7).

Despite having to restore my iPhone once every 3 app installations, I'm about to try this out now. Wondering if anyone else has yet taken the plunge?

/e.
I have also had to restore several times i got lucky on this one and didnt have to restore so probably what ever app i download next i will have to restore

maiden16tiger

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2008
I Need Help Setting Up!!!!
So, I Managed To Make The Network On Windows Xp

But When I Click On The App, It Only Shows Me Samples And Public Folders.. And Thats It.

I Cant Seem To Find Any Of These Usernames And Passwords Stuff =\

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006

what the heazey are you talking about?

btw, worked fine for me. delighted to see there's a free alternative for this type of app.

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
I was browsing the settings and there's a setting for invisible files on/off. what is this? and I didn't know files can be invisible in mac.

Any file with a period in front of it are hidden from normal view in the Finder. If you ever connect to a Mac share from a PC you will see all these .DS_STORE files in directories. They are there in the finder on Mac too, but hidden unless you know how to look for them. I'm not sure why you would want to view them in normal circumstances on the iPhone, but I'm sure there is some reason since they have that option

macrockbuddy

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
i need to open xls docs multiple times a day, it would b awesome if i could do it w/ cell. hope this works

shaivure

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Any idea where on the iPhone file system the files are saved? I use DiskAid to transfer files using the USB cable (no wireless at work), but it doesn't have a viewer like this. If I could find the Public folder on the file system then maybe I could transfer with USB?

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
i need to open xls docs multiple times a day, it would b awesome if i could do it w/ cell. hope this works

I have opened xls, doc, rtf, txt and pdf without problems. Zooming works fine. I did load up a 50MB pdf to see if it would read it, but it crashed on me. I haven't tried any docx or iWork files though

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
Any idea where on the iPhone file system the files are saved? I use DiskAid to transfer files using the USB cable (no wireless at work), but it doesn't have a viewer like this. If I could find the Public folder on the file system then maybe I could transfer with USB?

I didn't know there was an application like that. I'm going to check that out when I have access to my USB cable. Thanks for posting the link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.