General FYI Apple shut down Apple ID and iCloud password reset due to security flaw

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BumpyFlatline, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Just letting you all know in case you're having issues with these services.

@BreakingNews: Apple shuts down Apple ID, iCloud password reset system because of security flaw - @appleinsider http://t.co/W7lilWWJyy

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Interesting. I just spent about a half hour yesterday resetting my security questions (not password). At one point I "locked" my password out because I made too many attempts at trying my security questions. Interestingly enough I had used the "I Forgot" part early in the process so was able to use that to reset my security questions despite the fact that I was supposed to be "locked" out.

Bizzare!

3. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

4. BumpyFlatline thread starter macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Yea I had a similar experience too. I recently had some compromises with my personal data and so I was changing up all my passwords getting everything taken care of and ran into some weird issues with changing my Apple ID info. Then I saw this twitter notification saying apple had a security flaw in their system. With a modified URL, someone could change your password if they knew your email address and date of birth. Pretty crazy!

On a side note, because I was changing up my info and reading about this I discovered Apple now offers two-step verification. That's a long overdue, but very welcomed option. I am a huge fan of using 2 step verification whenever its offered so I'm glad to finally see Apple offer this.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.