FYI - AT&T Said I'm Not Eligible For Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fenir, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Fenir macrumors regular

I post this so that anybody else who was just in my situation can get some advice.

So after waiting and being first in line at AT&T, i waltz in where I was told I wasn't eligible for an upgrade. It really caught me off guard, because I know for a fact I was eligible. Two main points: I'm part of a family plan that pays more than 200/month (4 iPhones, 3 of them 3g data), and I have had a 3GS since launch. I also texted that number (Forget what it is, to see your eligibility) and it said I was eligible plus the $18 upgrade fee.

Second, my brother, who is on the same plan as me, pre-ordered his iPhone through AT&T 3 weeks ago and got it at the 299 price, absolutely no issue. I was told that my contract didn't expire until Febraury 2011.

After talking with the manager, apparently my brother wasn't supposed to be able to get the phone (uh, no?)...and somehow the manager was able to just give me the phone for the 299 + tax.

So long story short - if they say you aren't eligible, and you know for a fact you are, make sure you make your case and get it at the discounted price.

Also, tested the phone with a call earlier, holding the phone the "bad" way - absolutely no issue (knock on wood). I do hate though that AT&T has to open up the phone and mess with it to set it up. Oh well. All is good now. Good luck (midwest and west) AT&T campers!

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Hate to jump on the "cool story bro" bandwagon - but must.

I don't think there's a MR reader here who wouldn't "fight" for their upgrade. If anything, it would be the opposite. Many MR are so "entitled" they would be causing scenes worthy of a two year old tantrum

3. VTMac macrumors 6502

You weren't eligible. You and your brother got a great deal. Congrats and enjoy.

The rules for eligibility are trivially simple. Take the date you ACTIVATED your 3GS and add 18 months. We know the 3GS didn't come out until about this time last year. Adding 18 months, we know that you're not eligible until Dec at the earliest.

Nevertheless, you got your shiny new iPhone so enjoy!

4. Fenir thread starter macrumors regular

Not quite. The contracts are pro-rated based on how much your line pays. The more you pay, the earlier you are eligible for an upgrade. If that's the case, no one with a 3GS would be eligible for the upgrade, which would be the same uproar caused last year when 3G people weren't initially eligible for the 3GS upgrade.

But anyways, if that number (and i again forget what it was) you text and it says you are eligible for an upgrade, how can there be an issue in the AT&T system?

5. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

6. Fenir thread starter macrumors regular

32 gb. Without it I would have had to pay 399/499.

Also, my aunt ordered her 3gs iphone through apple last year at launch, and again this year for the 4, and was able to get the subsidized price with no issue at all as well, so I know I'm not crazy.

However, AT&T would not tell me, nor anyone else, how many phones they got in line. I casually asked the CSR thinking he would tell me but apparently they didn't know either.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The support folks will have no idea how many phones are in the pipeline or due into stock. They probably are presented with the nearly the same info we are online, that is, if it shows in stock or out of stock. That will be the extent of their knowledge.

8. Fenir thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, when the manager came out around 6:57 we asked how many phones they had, and he said he "didn't know". I was going to try and find out while I was in line and let the people farther down the line know there was ~ 50 (people) at my AT&T.

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

FYI should not be followed with a question. Just sayin'.

10. VTMac macrumors 6502

If your plan rate is high enough, some 3gs people qualify. I can tell you without question that 4 iphones on a $200 / month or so plan don't come in the neighborhood of qualifying. You need to spending around $100/month / phone to qualify.

It's the only way ATT makes money. Don't forget that while you pay $299 to ATT, ATT then pays any addition $400 to apple out of their pocket. Your family plan rates are way to low for ATT to recoup the cost of the 4 iphones every year plus service.

Again. You got a great deal. Be happy.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Being part of a family plan that pays more than $200/month doesn't automatically qualify you as eligible after one year. You have to be the primary line in order to be eligible after one year.

Who has the primary line, you or your brother?

FYI: The primary account holder doesn't necessarily have the primary line. It can be different from the primary account holder. Check your at&t page.

Only the line that is over $100/month is eligible after one year. This is considered the primary line as all other (secondary) lines are $10/month each additionally.