FYI - Default color profile is washed out - easy fix

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David58117, Mar 13, 2015.

1. David58117 macrumors 65816

I went to BB to check out the retina iMac and was surprised that all their macs were set with the default color profile..which to me seems washed out. I reset the retina iMac display, and it seemed much better. All the laptops were the same as well..

In case anyone is new to OS X or hasn't done it before - to get a more vibrant display (on a retina), go to:

System Preferences -> Displays -> click the color tab -> then under "Display Profiles" set it to "Generic RGB Profile"

Just a heads up..

2. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Try going through the color calibration assistant and see how it compares. I just checked the two profiles, and I think there's a decent chance that the difference there is gamma 2.2 vs. gamma 2.4, or something along those lines.

3. chaoscarrot macrumors member

You could also grab the profile off of the notebookcheck review, which they apparently used a very expensive program to gather.

However, does anyone know if the 2015 rMBPs have the same panels as the 2013? The profile was done for a 2013.

4. Z3man macrumors 6502a

That exactly what i did, why they set the default profile to look washed out is beyond me.

5. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

There are usually variations from panel to panel anyway. LED backlight colors aren't completely consistent. I'm not sure how well a one-size-fits-all calibrated profile would work.

6. oraclejavanet macrumors newbie

Thank you. My MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) is connected to the following external 4k monitor: Dell Ultra HD 4K Monitor P2415Q 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor. Your fix was exactly what I needed! No more washed out look.