Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Just a heads up for any of you replacing the HD in the new MBP. If you buy a bare OEM drive with no mounting screws you will need a Torx T6 driver to remove the ones on the Apple OEM drive. In fact even if you buy a retail kit w/ screws I'm not sure they'll work in the MBP. Best to reuse the Apple supplied screws. T6 drivers can be hard to find so you may want to order one when you buy your HD.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If you're going to do any kind of hardware work on a Mac laptop it's best to already have a multi-bit Torx driver. Not to mention Phillips #00, #0, and #1.

fireball87

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2007
There's people who does hardware work without having torx screwdrivers? I've had to use the things for hardware repairs and changes from all sorts of vendors. Precision toolsets are oh so useful...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
I have a Torx set because I've been upgrading my Macs for 15 years, but I'm sure a lot of newbies might not be aware and it would suck to have the old drive out and unable to get the screws off. So hopefully people will read the post and get prepared before hand.

damado

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
My torx for some reason kept slipping even though it should have been the right size...so I just used pliers to turn the screw things and it worked perfectly. I didn't tighten them as much when I put them on the new drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.