FYI - If you're getting errors doing the 1.1.2 Jailbreak!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by TheSpaz, Nov 12, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If you're getting weird Errors (such as "Cannot connect to device") trying to do the 1.1.2 Jailbreak then try downloading this file: http://rapidshare.com/files/61509655/opt.zip.html and then just drag the opt folder into the root directory of your hard drive. Drag the "1" folder onto your Desktop, Then open Terminal and type:

Code:
    cd Desktop/1
    Then hit enter and type:

Code:
    ./osx
    This solved my "Cannot connect to device" error. I hope this helps people because it seems like this wasn't very well documented... I had to do some hunting around to find out that I was missing this step.

2. phytonix macrumors 6502

3. atthecross macrumors 6502

tried that but i'm getting a can not connect error. tried all the onscreen suggestions and it still is not working

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Did you make sure you put the "opt" folder in the root section of your hard drive? Did you install OktoPrep before you installed 1.1.2?

5. solyd macrumors regular

Open your task manager and make sure none of the iTunes processes are open. Also make sure there is no process named iphuc.exe open.
    Put your iPod at the home menu screen and try again.

6. illweather macrumors regular

My Touch just keeps making that annoying beep sound, and is stuck on the slide to unlock screen, I can't go home to my springboard! And the little pin wheel thing is spinning and spinning...

I followed your tips, but still no luck, guess I bricked the sucker. If iTunes backed up my iPod before I updated, then can I restore to that?

Man, shoulda left my pod alone...

7. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

Haha this is not about Windows :eek:.

8. solyd macrumors regular

Just restore and try again, there is no way to brick your iPod.

The error also happens on Windows, and is not exclusive to Mac computers.

9. patricklanc macrumors newbie

I have download the file from the link you mentioned above, but there is only the folder "opt" inside the zip file, I cant find the "1" anywhere. Also, my hard drive would not allow my copy opt into root, (there is already one opt inside with different content.)

Is there any thing I can do now? thanks

10. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The folder that is called "1" is the 1.1.2 Jailbreak folder.... after you download the jailbreak zip, that's what it expands as. If you already have opt installed, then you do not need to do it again.

Refer to this forum (http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8664) for the complete jailbreak instructions but, it doesn't really mention that you need the "opt" folder. That was the point of this thread. If you're getting errors, install opt.

11. illweather macrumors regular

I know there is no way to truly "brick" an ipod, but when the thing is just beeping and has that damn spinner infinitely spinning, it's kinda worthless...like a brick!

I tried the whole process several times, and everytime it didn't work. I'm on a PPC Mac, maybe that's the problem? I decided in the end that I'm fine with 1.1.1 jailbroken, and probably should have never messed with this whole updating BS. Or maybe I should have tried doing the update using a newer Mac, like an Intel based Mac Book Pro? Either way, my touch is back to normal (for the most part).

12. boonleng macrumors regular

I just tried it on my powerbook G4 and no luck like most PPC users... I'm waiting to go home and try it with my intel iMac to see if things improved.

13. boonleng macrumors regular

14. illweather macrumors regular

if you could, please let me know exactly what you did. Might have to borrow my dad's mac book pro.

15. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Finally!
    Thanks I've been trying to figure this out as well. It sure does take a lot longer than previous breaks.

16. boonleng macrumors regular

I had a jailbroken 1.1.1 touch ... applied Tweak (1.1.1) -->OktoPrep.
    Then, I downloaded the jailbreak program mentioned in the first message in this thread. Just extract and ran it from my iMac, everything went okay. This was exactly the same thing I tried on my powerbook G4 but failed. I hope your Dad's Macbook Pro does the trick. Good Luck !

BTW, if you guys want iPhone apps for 1.1.2 iPod Touch, ipodtouchmaster has posted a zip file with just those at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IF2SC3QL

17. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Another no-go for the PPC system.

Followed the instructions and when I run osx I get the "Cannot connect to device" error.

I started all over, downgraded to 1.1.1 and got the same error again.

Can anyone confirm it is indeed a PPC issues??

18. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Is "opt" installed in the root directory of your hard drive? If not, click the link in my first post and download it.

19. Nautigar macrumors regular

I cannot confirm, but it seems very likely. Many posts here about this issue. I think we just have to be patient until one of the friendly geeks solves the issue. Perhaps we should raise money to give them a PPC Mac as a present ... :)

20. jepaz macrumors regular

It will not work still. In fact, when you extract the 1.1.2 jailbreak zip file, there is a file there called iphuc.ppc, I drag the iphuc to trash which I believe for intel only and rename iphuc.ppc to iphuc and double click the jar file (hoping it will work), still can't connect to iphuc after clicking jailbreak button.

Anyways, touchdev mentioned that the jaibreak 1.1.2 does not completely work with PPC yet.

21. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I had the 'cannot connect to iphone' error message when I tried this a few days ago before I saw the 'opt' folder comment. Now I am stuck with 1.1.2 because I tried to go back to 1.1.1 to start all over and I kept getting error 1015 trying to install the 1.1.1 firmware. I even tried to download itunes 7.3.2 on windows and try it since I saw it was impossible to put on 1.1.1 with itunes 7.5. What is the best way to get back to the 1.1.1 point so I can try again. I know 1.1.1 was patch for the tiff exploit so I would have to find an older copy. Any pointers?

- James

22. RyanG macrumors 6502

23. halyfax macrumors newbie

I do not see a folder "1" I downloaded the opt folder and I do not see anything with a 1 in it. Just opt>local>lib>libreadline.5.2.dylib

24. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The "1" folder is NOT the "opt" folder... it is the 1.1.2 Jailbreak folder as described a few posts up. This is the file that contains the "1" folder http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/1.1.2-jailbreak.zip

But, how could you be trying to jailbreak your iPod if you didn't download that file... hmm..

25. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

you star, been messing around for about an hour wondering why i get the connect error, follow your instructions and it works just fine.