FYI: iPad 2 vs eee transformer light bleed.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by h00ligan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I thought some may want to see this. Fwiw my bleed on iPad 2 is worsening with age. I have other thoughts on the devices as a comparison but that's another thread. The eee has 10 stuck pixels on just a black test. None on the iPad 2. Neither is as good as the original iPad. One is getting returned. The other swapped.

For your review. 100% and 50%.

Attached Files:

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

All I can say is, the sooner we move onto Samsungs "SUPER AMOLED PLUS" screens the better.

Thinner, lighter, less parts, brighter colours, jet blacks, no light bleed.

From all accounts it looks like it will be iPad4 in 2013 at the earliest though :(

3. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

As soon as they can get the res high enough on the amoled screens, I'll be happy.

4. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Darn. Is this going to effect the "black, blank screen" app?

I've checked for light bleed issues on all of my LCD monitors and TV's, from various manufacturers. Every single one of them has at least a small amount of light bleed. Hitachi, Apple, Samsung and HTC. I imagine every manufacturer of LCD screens has some amount of light bleed.

5. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

I understand where you are coming from. I will never use 100% in a dark room. I will use 50-65%.

Understand where you are coming from with the black screen issue, however..some people use the iPad as a digital portfolio, or watching movies, it is a factor at that point...though not for everyday Internet browsing.

The impact of the defect will vary based on usage. Initially it was not a concern, however..it is worsening.

That said I posted these as a sample comparison, not to have a debate about what is or is not acceptable, there's a huge thread for that already :)

Fwiw, my cheap Dell monitor, neither of my plasmas ;), original ipad, my iPhone, nor a thinkpad have this issue, though my MacBook pro does very severely (well it just has an absolute crap screen). Or at least they may have 'light bleed' but it's uniform (ghostly overlay at 100% on iPhone 4), not casting strongly from one or two areas. The iPad 2 and transformer are the worse two devices of many in my house, but then maybe I've been lucky in choosing other screens, or paying more for some than many consumers these days...

It does seem the more we see LCD prices dropping, the worse quality control gets, which is unsurprising.

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

My plasma doesn't have the issue, but I am specifically referring to LCD's and I am being very nit-picky when I say there is light bleed. You may not believe it is even there it is so minor, but it is, even if it is uniform, appearing 'normal'. The smaller the screen, however, the less you are likely to notice. My iPad2 does have a minor light bleed issue in one corner, but not bothersome, not even when waching 16:9 ratio films, in completely dark rooms.

However, I don't think it has anything to do with price. My smallest TV is a 2007 32" Westinghouse that I use as a monitor for my MBP, which has minor light bleed. One of my TV's is a 2008 42" Hitachi LCD, with a minor, "uniform" light bleed issue. My new iMac 27" has minor light bleed. And so on... These are random manufacturers, all with the same issue, from different years and from all price points.

7. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Again, it all boils down to what the specific consumer will go with.

There are plenty of people returning monitors and televisions due to the issue, the iPad is just another device.

I stand by my assertion that price can indicate quality control. Reducing the cost of components and labour can't help but reduce quality control when it's disproportionate to technological advance.

8. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

I also meant to add, I agree with this!