FYI: Magnetic Car Mounts and 8 plus

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by pdxa4, Oct 10, 2017.

1. pdxa4 macrumors 6502

Just sharing my experience and to document this here online if others have a similar issue.

I've been using the car vent mounts with magnet without issue for my iphone 7 plus for the past year. Specifically the Evutec AER series, Karbon Black with AFIX

When my new iphone 8 plus arrived a couple of weeks ago, I slipped the Evutec case on it to protect the phone, it was a bit tight but it went on ok. I was driving home from work that day and I glanced at my phone and I could see the error message "No SIM installed" appearing, within a 20min period the phone was connecting and disconnect from the network with the no sim installed happening on a number of occasions.
    I had the phone mounted to the vent magnetic holder during this trip.

Once I got home the network connection was ok again, I did a full reboot on the phone - also popped out the sim card tray and inspected it - all was ok.

I switched the case over to a spigen clear one that I had for a few days, had no issues.

Yesterday I decided to put a metal mounting plate on the Spigen clear case to try and ultilize my magnet vent holder again.
    And within a few minutes the same issue happened again, no sim installed error appeared.

I took the cover of right away and stopped using the magnetic vent mount.

At least in my instance there is a correlation with the use of the magnetic vent holder and my iphone 8 plus. So wanted to share this with others.

I know about the wireless charging and glass back case on the 8 plus, but I figured that I could use at least for a while the AFIX mount option when not charging the phone. It appears that the magnetic field has an impact on my sim card/electronics.

Anyway I'll go back to using a regular vent mod for now such as the Kenu one that I have for now.

Thanks for listening.

2. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

That is pretty interesting. It could be the small magnet that causes an issue with the wireless charging coils inside the phone? I can't say for sure. I have enjoyed using my AER case with my iPhone 7. I saw that Evutec has new cases for the 8 and they seem to "spread" out the metal plates inside the case so they don't get in the way of the wireless charging coils. I wonder if the magnets are just as spread out inside of the magnetic mount. I hope so..I would like to buy that case.

3. chanerz macrumors 65816

Can't use a case that uses a magnet. Wireless charging won't work. I used the Spigen one when I had my IP7+. Now I bought the Spigen Kuel Stealth Mount.

4. pdxa4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I was surprised by the interference, but it's certainly possible. It's a pretty strong magnet also.

After you replied I looked at the Evutec website and indeed they released a newer case/holder for the iPhone 8. Indeed it looks like 4 plates are used now, leaving the middle empty.

For now I'm going to use my Kenu vent mount.