Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
sure, you pay local tax -- but $200 off retail, nice.

MBs have been $800 for some time, but the 13" MBP for $1000 is new deal

in store pickup only...

FWIW, macconnection has the Macbook for $899AR and the 13" MBP for $1120AR if you arent near a microcenter. No tax to many states.

Chikimonki

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
thx

Thx for the heads up! I just bought my first Mac at Micro Center: MB for $799. It's perfect for what I need, and with $200 off, I won't feel bad when the updates come.

easepease

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
Colorado
requires you to use their credit card... not worth a credit hit... at least not to me. I hate those things... oh well

EDIT: hmm my friend went there and said you had to get a credit card... guess he is just a moron, sorry everyone

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I've seen the ads from Microcenter, but I worry too much about having a problem and then having to argue with Microcenter about getting it fixed. I've heard tales of buyers being shuffled back and forth between Apple and resellers like Microcenter or Amazon and basically being SOL getting a new computer fixed.

I'd much rather pay Apple's price and not have to argue if it arrives and breaks within a few days.

Resellers may say they will send it to apple for repair even if it's brand new, or tell you it's apple's problem and Apple says it's the resellers. not worth the hassle to deal with Microcenter.

There's a Microcenter near where I live, and I've been in the store a number of times, but it doesn't inspire confidence with their postings about return policies, repairs, etc. I bought some accessories and software from them, but wouldn't try to buy a computer.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
Get it price adjusted.

If this gets you down, then you might be really unhappy in a little bit when the 13" MBPs are totally updated with new processors =)

Best Buy says prices can't be match through an online price. I would have to bring in a store ad and not an ad from their .com store.

Any other way with this? Thanks.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
There's a Microcenter near where I live, and I've been in the store a number of times, but it doesn't inspire confidence with their postings about return policies, repairs, etc. I bought some accessories and software from them, but wouldn't try to buy a computer.

But if you need an SD card they sell them by the buckets!!! :D

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Best Buy says prices can't be match through an online price. I would have to bring in a store ad and not an ad from their .com store.

Any other way with this? Thanks.

take it back into a best buy, with reciept. Say you are not happy with it and want to return it. you have 30 days. then go to microcenter and buy one. if you do this, be sure to reformat it and wipe that hard drive first..

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009

I have had success with microcenter... and the 1 year apple warranty is still valid if you buy from them, and you can still get applecare.. so the manufacturers warranty is just as good as if you bought from apple.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Get it price adjusted.

If this gets you down, then you might be really unhappy in a little bit when the 13" MBPs are totally updated with new processors =)

I've got both a Microcenter (20 miles) and a Bestbuy (3 miles) nearby. So, naturally, I'd like to PM at Bestbuy if I could... But, I'm usually terrible at haggling or even price matching.

Can someone enlighten me on the best way to price match for this MBP deal at a local Best Buy? What is the most surefire way?

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I've got both a Microcenter (20 miles) and a Bestbuy (3 miles) nearby. So, naturally, I'd like to PM at Bestbuy if I could... But, I'm usually terrible at haggling or even price matching.

Can someone enlighten me on the best way to price match for this MBP deal at a local Best Buy? What is the most surefire way?

I assume you just need a print ad from the other store stating the advertised price then take it to best buy and tell them you want them to price match. I assume bestbuy.com would have more details on the price match policy though.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Where You Buy A Mac - Authorized Reseller

As long as the company is an Authorized Reseller, it doesn't matter where you buy it.

Apple supports their products.
I bought my MBP from a third party company. Apple had no hestaion replacing both my power supply and battery.

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
Guys (and gals),

The Apple store will price-match (for those who are wary about buying from Microcenter - I was). I went to my local Apple store, pulled up the price and showed them they had them in stock at my local Microcenter and they matched the price.

(Mind you I knew about this via another Macrumors member who posted it on the White Macbook appreciation thread 2 weeks ago).

weaselmtl

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
Guys (and gals),

The Apple store will price-match (for those who are wary about buying from Microcenter - I was). I went to my local Apple store, pulled up the price and showed them they had them in stock at my local Microcenter and they matched the price.

(Mind you I knew about this via another Macrumors member who posted it on the White Macbook appreciation thread 2 weeks ago).

I can attest to this - I price matched the white Macbook at the San Francisco Apple store a couple of weeks ago.

cash4chaos

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
campbell ca
I also bought one

Went to MC in Costa Mesa Ca and picked up a mbp 13 2.53 and also got the 200$ off retail !! 1299 !! My own bank cc .
Got tired waiting for the update, ipad 32 gb wifi and iPhone 3gs 16 gb and mbp
is good enough for me now.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Wow...damn. I just purchased the white Unibody MB almost two weeks ago from them for the $799 price, and I love it, but I'd have taken a 13-in. MBP for $999 in a heartbeat.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
I've seen the ads from Microcenter, but I worry too much about having a problem and then having to argue with Microcenter about getting it fixed. I've heard tales of buyers being shuffled back and forth between Apple and resellers like Microcenter or Amazon and basically being SOL getting a new computer fixed.

Techwiz is correct -- As long as the company is an Authorized Reseller, it doesn't matter where you buy it.

Your fears are misplaced.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
so just came home from an apple store with my buddy. he got the entry level 13" but they would NOT price match. turns out the macbook pro at microcenter is the model from just before snow leopard came out so it comes with leopard on it. result = no price match... they said they would price match the white macbook but not the macbook pro. Bummer..

just thought you all would like to know that.

Chikimonki

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
so just came home from an apple store with my buddy. he got the entry level 13" but they would NOT price match. turns out the macbook pro at microcenter is the model from just before snow leopard came out so it comes with leopard on it. result = no price match... they said they would price match the white macbook but not the macbook pro. Bummer..

That's a bummer Apple wouldn't match. The MBPs at the Denver Micro Center all had Snow Leopard. The sales person said the website wasn't updated from when the machines were first entered into the system with Leopard.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento

Thats total crap.

Your buddy should have waited.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Thats total crap.

Your buddy should have waited.

yeah but for web browsing and itunes (pretty much all he will be doing) hes fine with what he got. and he got the student discount so its fine. Wish microcenter would update their site though thats annoying if its true that they DO come with SL because that could have saved him another hundred dollars.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

That's a big reason why I don't buy computers at Microcenter - they use the sales to clear stocks of old Macbooks, like ones that were in the store before Snow Leopard. You never know if it's really new. If I go to Apple and buy a MBP it will certainly have Snow Leopard on it.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010

That is good to know! I would have hated to go into an Apple store and tried to convince them unsuccessfully. I would have walked out, but it would have ruined my day. That's why I have such a difficult time haggling/PM-ing.

Regarding the Microcenter deal, though, does this mean that if I buy the MBP 13 from Microcenter, I'll have the old Leopard OS? And if so, is there an upgrade charge etc for upgrading to Snow Leopard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.