FYI on AppleCare and eBay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mactrillionaire, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

Just thought I would let everyone know to avoid buying AppleCare from eBay or other auction sites unless the seller has the original receipt proving that the AppleCare was purchased from Apple (or an authorized reseller) and therefore meeting the legal requirement of demonstrating that Apple has received payment and entered into an agreement that requires payment.

I've bought AppleCare on eBay on a number of occasions, but this is the first time I ran into a problem with Apple refusing to honor an agreement that appeared to be legitimate. The main reason this is happening is because there are many sellers on eBay who are selling generated APP codes (hint: they are the ones who will give you a code but REFUSE to provide the original box). Well, it turns out that these scammers are ruining the prospect of saving a few dollars for the rest of us because Apple is cracking down on it and they are saving a few dollars in the meantime by refusing to honor APPs that receipts are lost for. Apple can legally justify this approach, but it is a less than acceptable way to treat legitimate customers. Anyway, you've been warned about what is happening, so be careful if you are going to buy AppleCare on eBay (or another auction site) at all.

2. paeza macrumors regular

paeza

Thank you so much for your info. I am still wondering about the one with the whole box (without receipt ). Is it ok or it should be avoided ?

3. Mactrillionaire thread starter macrumors regular

Apple says you should not buy it unless a receipt showing a purchase of AppleCare from Apple or an authorized Apple reseller can be obtained. If you don't follow that advice, your results will be mixed (i.e., sometimes they will validate it and sometimes they will not). I am going to have a talk with PayPal and see if I can get them to institute a new policy that all AppleCare auctions must have an original receipt. I'm sure with all the money they could be paying out if the seller reneges would convince them to adopt this policy, especially since there are so many fraudulent AppleCare plans on eBay.

BTW The auctions with the boxes are usually legitimate AppleCare plans (provided they also have an AppleCare serial number on the bottom of the box). It's just that without proof of initial purchase from Apple or an authorized Apple reseller that Apple has grounds for plausible deniability of the claim that an agreement ever was paid for or existed in the first place.

4. paeza macrumors regular

paeza

thank you so much for your answer