FYI on fraud phone calls

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bolsen78, Oct 27, 2010.

1. bolsen78 macrumors regular

I wasnt sure where to post this. But I had received one of these phone calls tonight from a phone number 052312293 leaving me a message to call them back at 646-770-2874. The message they left me was stating that either I or my attorney should call them as this is critical and then wish me luck and god bless. Also saying his name was Dave Johnson altho he sounded like he was Middle Eastern. So I googled these numbers and found out that these are scams and that supposedly they have your SSN bank acct or credit card numbers. Also saying that it is from a pay day loan (which I do not know what a pay day loan is or even applied for one). So I called the 646 number and a lady had answered and I asked her why the bleep are you scamming people? She told me that it was a legit firm and that she knew my name (FYI i didnt give her my name over the phone). So I asked her to tell me my name and she refused to do so after we argued a minute. She then gave the phone to some guy and he also said he knew my name and who I was. Then he told me he was my father. Then they hung up on me also blocking me from calling them now. My brother had even called them on 3 way and they still claimed to be legit. Now I had to do all this stuff with my bank acct changing it as well tomorrow as some people had money taking from them already. I also had to put an alert out on my SSN for 90 days. I also called the FTC which I heard is crock anyways.
    I just wanted to warn people in case you come across this or already have had these phone calls as I am not the only one who has had this happen to. I do not order stuff online I do not trust that. If I do you usually see the "lock" symbol as well anyways. Just be careful I guess as this scared the heck out of me already. So far my acct has nothing missing but still I am worried.

2. christinejoel macrumors newbie

That's crazy..One of my friends got a similar type of call the other day and upon investigation,it was revealed that there is a whole network behind this.Just be careful everyone.!

3. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

I'd never, ever, phone that number back in the first place mate.

Good luck, hope it all goes away!

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If court / lawyer really want to reach you, they will have a person who will find you and "serve" you a paper.

They don't do it through phone calls.