FYI on Mac version of Quicken

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kkirkland81, Apr 10, 2013.

1. kkirkland81 macrumors newbie

Figured I'd let everyone know about this.

I sent an email to Intuit's Customer Care asking if they were working on a new version of Quicken for Mac. This is the response I received:

Thank you for contacting Quicken Customer Care.

I do understand your concern and would like to inform you that we are working on new upcoming Quicken Mac version. However, we do not have much information on this. I would request you to visit www.quicken.com occasionally.

Thank you.

It doesn't give us any details, but at least some hope.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the stuff intuit has produced for osx, I'd say most people have moved off of Quicken. My opinion is that Quicken is crap and there are far better options already available. Just take a look at iBank for instance.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I moved from Quicken (looooong time user) to iBank
    It meets my needs, but I still prefer the old Quicken checkbook register interface and reconcile features to iBank

But I survived the transition and won't go back regardless of what Intuit does

4. jljue macrumors regular

I moved to iBank nearly 2 years ago myself, too. While I think that Quicken for Windows is still a pretty good application, iBank gives me the ability to sync a couple of iPhones recording receipts to my Mac to make tracking my household bills a lot easier than either going to my computer all of the time or waiting until the weekend to record receipts. Even if Intuit gave me all of those features, I won't switch back, because all of the account conversions will suck, again.

5. Swampyy macrumors newbie

If you are after basic tracking of expenditure and vs. budget, I thouroughly recomment YNAB.

Receipts or transactions can also be entered on iPhone app that is automatically synced with all devices / Mac that you have running YNAB.

It is so simple and easy to use. Previously I had Quicken on PC. Will likely never use Quicken again.

If you are after something more sophicticated than possibly iBank maybe the way to go however YNAB does everything that we need.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I use Quicken Essentials for Mac. I would have switched to something else, but I couldn't find anything that would migrate my 8+ years of financial data, so I stayed with Quicken. I doubt they are working on anything new for the Mac. My needs are simple; just checkbook.

7. jody.highroller macrumors newbie

I am very satisfied with Bank X. Very powerful

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I just run a VM in VirtualBox and use Quicken for Windows...

9. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

I continue with Quicken 2007 for Lion/Mt. Lion: complete program for sale on Intuit's website for $15.

Last time I checked, not much has changed in the accounting world since 2007, so why do I have to purchase a new accounting program every two or three years (and start a whole new programming learning cycle)?

10. pertusis1 macrumors 6502

I would recommend Fortora. I am a former quicken user. I used iBank, but lost data twice. I love Fortora, and would highly recommend it.

11. ticzon macrumors newbie

Still Using Quicken

I'm still using Quicken 2007 in Lion because I have a data base that started in 1995. Quicken 2007 for Lion/Mountain Lion was a good update (only $15: what a deal), and I have not seen any problems. I still have access to records that are 18 years old. Even if they don't come out with an new version, the current (old) version is good enough.

12. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I've been using Quicken Essentials since it came out and have not been happier. But then again my needs are fairly simple. It is a home accounting system and that is all I need. It keeps track of all my savings, checking and charge accounts as well as my 401K.