FYI Pairing Problem with Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tom G., Jul 6, 2015.

1. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

On Saturday the 4th of July, sometime during the day, my :apple: Watch came unpaired from my iPhone 6. I don't know when it happened, I noticed it when I went to check on the temperature, and saw the unpaired symbol on the watch. This was about 2:30 or so in the afternoon.

I began to try everything I could to get it to re-pair with the phone but nothing worked. I finally called Apple and in short order was talking to a very knowledgeable Sr. Advisor who patiently worked with me to try to get the watch to pair up with the phone. No matter what we tried it didn't work. We tried to get it to pair automatically and manually. In our endeavors we found a few errors in the written instructions on how to pair the watch. After about 2 hours or so of attempts he told me that the best solution was for them to send me a new watch, and we set it up for this to happen. When you do this Apple puts a hold on your credit card for the price of the watch. When you return the old watch the hold is removed.

During our efforts he had said several times that the problem had to be a software issue not hardware and I agreed with him.

After we got done with all this and I had hung up I came to realize that the entire time we had been working we had concentrated our efforts on the watch. I decided to see what would happen if I did a hard boot on the phone. Needless to say as soon as I did this the watch re-paired on the first try, and has been working flawlessly ever since.

The moral of this little story of course is don't overlook the less than obvious when trying to solve a problem. I am a retired instrument tech who spent over 40+ years taking care of all kinds of technical equipment used in the gas utility field. I'd love to have a dollar for every time a hard boot or power down had solved a seemingly impossible glitch. In our efforts we had done every kind of boot on the watch we could think of, but neither of us thought to do it on the phone until after we had given up.

If anyone who reads this thinks that 2 hours or so is silly for trying to fix a watch problem, you didn't work with me when I was working for the gas company. I don't give up easily, and I do call for added tech help when needed.

I tried to call the advisor back to let him know that the problem was solved, but he was already helping someone else. We did exchange emails and he let me know that he had canceled the replacement watch.

2. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

That is so true. The number of times this has worked for me is immeasurable, and people look at me like I'm some kind of wizard when I "magically" solve whatever issue they have and all I did was restart their phone. It is slightly amusing when people think I'm some kind of tech wiz for fixing their stuff so easily and quickly when they've spent hours on it though.:p

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The IT guy at a place I worked at a few years ago had a t-shirt that just said "REBOOT". He would wear it under a button down shirt, and if you had a problem with your computer, the first thing he would do is unbutton his shirt and pull it open, like Superman.

4. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

It's interesting that what used to be a norm in Windoze/IT world ("Just Reboot") is now the norm in Apple world, thanks to iWatch. This was not the case while Steve Jobs was alive.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well... When I first started using a Mac, Steve Jobs was still alive, and I was amazed at how often my searches for "How do I do X on a Mac?" resulted in directions to fire up Terminal and type in some arcane commands. On Windows, it had been years since I had to resort to opening up a DOS prompt.

I'm convinced Macs are not easier to use than Windows, just different.