Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike1123

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
It means nothing. We just got Vista at our school; I get a blue screen when I log on every time. :cool:

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
Vista crashing is no surprise. I'll bet it's not even itunes' fault, but it'll probably take the blame anyways.

Not a fanboy attack, I'm a corporate IT guy and I have more issues from Vista than the other XP boxes. If I could just get them to switch to MBPs!

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
It's just all part of The Master Plan. ;) An announcement will follow shortly saying that anyone who has bought an iPod or iPhone will now need to use a Mac to sync with it.

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Vista is very stable.....(I own a MBP by the way)

If Vista crashes because of iTunes 8 then it's just Apple's software guys doing a bad job.

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
I also have seen that it seems like its only a problem with jailbroken phones. Maybe Itunes now checks for hacked firmware?

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
reason 93857398753 why i wont switch to Vista, ill keep XP until microsoft's next iteration or until I can somehow get swayed over to an Apple PC

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
BSOD on Vista?! That would be a first for me... the only BSOD I've seen since 2006 was when Leopard would give me a blank blue screen for 5 minutes on every startup, before I uninstalled DivX.

I installed iTunes 8 immediately after it was released and I've synchronized both my iPhone 3G and my iPod Touch a few times since then with no problems.

One of the biggest changes in Vista is that drivers now live in user mode, which means hardware errors and failures can't bring the system down. For example if your video driver crashes, the screen goes black for a few seconds then everything comes back to normal. In order to squeeze a BSOD out of Vista you gotta feed it some crappy old driver built according to XP guidelines.

I wouldn't go as far with conspiracy theories to suggest that Apple is deliberately screwing things up to make Windows look bad, but I do think that their general contempt for the platform discourages them from going that extra mile to make things run smoothly. Apple's stuff always works slightly worse on Windows than everything else does. When a relatively basic application like iTunes takes longer to load than a behemoth like Photoshop CS3, you gotta wonder.

(No, I'm not a Windows fanboi... I'm a platform agnostic who owns two Macs and two PCs, and I like them all).

chewietobbacca

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
If you install new software, and it causes a BSOD on Vista when it didn't BSOD on the same tasks...

Well my engineering background suggests the QA testing on that software had a few issues ;)

Yes, it's fun to bash Vista, but let's get real please - if itunes worked fine before and didn't cause BSOD's, and suddenly BSOD's occur after a change to iTunes, it's very likely an issue with iTunes.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
If you install new software, and it causes a BSOD on Vista when it didn't BSOD on the same tasks...

Well my engineering background suggests the QA testing on that software had a few issues ;)

Yes, it's fun to bash Vista, but let's get real please - if itunes worked fine before and didn't cause BSOD's, and suddenly BSOD's occur after a change to iTunes, it's very likely an issue with iTunes.
Well said. Although technically it's probably not iTunes itself, but a pesky little thing called AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe.

jcde7ago

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
San Francisco, CA

Agreed. I've had absolutely no problems with using Vista (32 Bit) and iTunes 8 + syncing with my iPhone 3G. I have yet to see a BSOD on my tablet laptop, since I got it last December, period.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I can see the debate both ways.

1) Apple's fault - Vista was fine before. iTunes 8 installed and now it crashes.
2) Microsoft's fault - The operating system should not go down because of a bad app. The app should abort and your operating system should continue to run. Vista is unstable. XP didn't crash.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I can see the debate both ways.

1) Apple's fault - Vista was fine before. iTunes 8 installed and now it crashes.
2) Microsoft's fault - The operating system should not go down because of a bad app. The app should abort and your operating system should continue to run. Vista is unstable. XP didn't crash.
It's not going down because of a bad app, but because of a bad driver. If it gives you a BSOD it's not even a proper Vista driver, but a legacy XP driver. It's no news that Apple can't be arsed to write dedicated Vista stuff, they're not even using DWM (Vista's equivalent of Core Graphics). All of Apple's Windows apps use oldschool XP style rendering, without drop shadows and other Vista specific bells & whistles, and are therefore very sluggish when scrolling etc.

Vista certainly leaves a lot to be desired, but one thing it does have is resilience to bad apps. It still can't do much against outright malware, of course, but as long as we're talking benign but poorly written software, Vista is pretty immune.

OS X on the other hand is quite vulnerable. I've had stuff like Logitech Control Center, DivX, Shapeshifter and certain hardware drivers (specifically, for the Yamaha 01X digital audio interface & mixer) screw up the system pretty bad. LCC wouldn't let me shut down or reboot; DivX would give me a blue screen for 5 minutes on every startup and the 01X driver caused a perpetual blue screen on startup. Stuff like this doesn't happen in Vista. It's more like the way that Windows 95/98 would behave.

Basically OS X is like the boy in the bubble, it has no immune system of its own, but thanks to the fact that it lives in a hardware environment controlled by Apple it's quite safe from harm anyway. But if some foreign object (such as bad 3rd party software) gets into the bubble, OS X just goes belly up and dies.

Vista lives outside the bubble, out in the rain among the street thugs, in a random hardware environment that Microsoft has no control over. But because Windows has endured so many years of hardware and software chaos, virus outbreaks and other crap, it's gotten pretty tough. It can still catch a cold every once in a while, but it will prevail.

ibuyufo

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
Running 64bit vista ultimate and no problem installing or running itunes 8. In fact I'm syncing the iphone now and it takes a freaking long time still.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

thx. Mine just locks up. Still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.