FYI to CRT Users

Discussion in 'macOS' started by salilsundresh, Nov 3, 2007.

1. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

Do not use the the new "Shells" screensaver included with Leopard! After running it for about 2 hours I came back to my computer to find my monitors looking like this!

[​IMG]

(please disregard the black horizontal lines, this is just an artifact introduced by my iPhone's camera)
    Here's what the Shells screen saver looks like on my monitors

[​IMG]

I don't think that this should affect LCD users, though I could be mistaken.

2. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

3. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

Just an update: I sent feedback to Apple about this issue...no response from them.

4. wngraham macrumors regular

Exact same results on my iMac G5. I eventually set the desktop to a solid color (black) and after about 48 hours the "damage" appeared to be gone.

5. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow...even affects LCDs

6. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

A quicker fix is if your CRT monitor has a "degauss" button (it'd be somewhere in the monitor's colour/brightness/etc settings). It takes a few seconds as opposed to a few days.

Usually the icon looks like a U magnet. When you click/press it the screen will go all wobbly but then the image will straighten itself out and the colours will be as they should. Unfortunately, not all CRT monitors have the button but if it does, you could even stick a magnet next to the screen, look a the pretty colours, then degauss and have it looking as normal. (Note: I wouldn't do that too much just in case though. I mean, it's not exactly GOOD to stick a magnet on the monitor.)