Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Thought i would share this with all of you running Power Macs with no bluetooth. I was just working on my Digital Audio running 9.2.2 and had connected it to my cinema display with a Logitech K750 wireless dongle connected to it. I thought I'd see if anything would happen when I used the keyboard and lo and behold it is recognized. This is my main keyboard and I couldn't be happier that support goes this far back.

Reactions: eyoungren

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Thought i would share this with all of you running Power Macs with no bluetooth. I was just working on my Digital Audio running 9.2.2 and had connected it to my cinema display with a Logitech K750 wireless dongle connected to it. I thought I'd see if anything would happen when I used the keyboard and lo and behold it is recognized. This is my main keyboard and I couldn't be happier that support goes this far back.
I believe these keyboards look exactly the same as a wired USB keyboard to the computer, so any keyboard like this should in theory work.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
And Bluetooth even works for one specific configuration:
The D-Link DBT-120M USB Bluetooth adapter (the M model specifically.)
Apple Wireless Keyboard (the first generation.)
Apple Wireless Mouse (the first generation.)

Boot in to OS X, pair the mouse and keyboard, apply Apple's Bluetooth firmware update, then reboot in to Mac OS 9 - it will work. Also works for pre-boot key combinations.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Just thought this was great as this is a recent computer (with only os 9 on it) and a great solution for those of us without bluetooth and want a recent keyboard.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Just hooked it back up. It unfortunately didn't work. You burst my bubble it seems! It asks to set up hot function keys for F1-F15

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Wireless USB keyboards that include a dongle will appear as a standard USB keyboard to the OS unless it supports a more advanced driver (e.g. Logitech Keyboards when special software is installed).

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
All that is required from the host computer for RF dongles is enough power from the USB sockets to activate the RF signals. All of the pairing is done in hardware unlike most BT peripherals that rely on the host OS to do the handshaking. This is why most BT keyboards are inactive pre-boot and cannot be used to access Open Firmware or BIOSes and why there is often a delay in using the latter after waking from sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.