FYI, you can use an old iPhone without data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't know how long this would last, but it does work. I'm upgrading my mom with my old iPhone 3GS. Since I couldn't get in touch with AT&T to update the SIM/IMEI number, I swapped SIM cards. She's got a functional phone and can use apps and such as long as she's on WiFi. So it can be done.

I do plan to get her fully activated once I can call AT&T during business hours. She was already hooked just by having all 3300 photos available on her phone.

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I'm thinking about switching the sim from my wife's (a.k.a. The Techophobe) phone for a day to see how she handles it.

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I originally tried to get my mother on my old 3G, and it was too slow. So I am going to be Craigslisting or eBaying for her an iPhone 3GS.

Or upgrade her to a 4.

4. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I got away with it for almost a year on my wife's phone. Kept it on edge. Not sure if that made the difference or not.

5. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

i always thought that AT&T would realize this by the IMEI now being an iPhone and automatically add the data plan....I know thats how it usually works at least