FYI - You might not need a logic board replacement afterall

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jfig24, Apr 12, 2010.

1. jfig24 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I would post it here in the Macbook Pro forum. I have a 1st generation Macbook Pro that I bought in March of 2006. In May of 2008, I dropped my laptop from my desk...a height of about 2.5 - 3 feet. It didn't actually hit the floor as I was able to stick out my foot and prevent a really bad fall as it landed on my sneakers. When I tried to turn the computer on, it would not boot into OS X. I was however able to boot in Windows XP just fine. I took my computer to the Apple Store and of course since I was out of warranty, they couldn't do much for me. The "Genius" told me that it looked like I had a bad logic board and would need to replace it which was an $800 cost just for the board. I also took my Macbook Pro to Tekserve which in a big authorized dealer in NYC, and they too told me that it would cost me about $800-$1000 to fix because it looked like a logic board issue. So bummed out, I took my laptop home and pondered my options. For the past year and a half, I have reinstalled OS X countless times and it would work for a few hours. Whenever I tried to install any OS updates, it either installed it and not boot up afterwards or would give me an error that it could not install the update and then slow down to the point where I couldn't do anything on the laptop. Upon rebooting the laptop, it would fail to boot into OS X. I even tried running it without installing any updates and again, within a few hours, it would slow down and eventually fail to boot into OS X. During all this time, Windows XP continued to work fine on the 2nd partition. So, for the past year, i've been using my Macbook Pro as a Windows XP computer. This past Thursday night, I started thinking, i've tried everything to get this computer to work, why not try and switch out the hard drive and see if by some miracle, it started working again. I mentioned this idea to both techs I spoke to a year and half ago, and both assured me the HD was fine and it was a logic board issue. So, I went out and bought a 500GB hard drive, installed it, installed OS X and crossed my fingers. I fugured, if it didn't work, I could either return it or keep it and have a bigger HD for Windows XP to run on. I almost fell through the floor when I was able to install update after update, app after app, and my little Macbook Pro kept moving along. A full weekend after my hard drive switch, I am VERY happy to say that my Macbook Pro has been fixed and all it cost me was $100!!! Now, I'm running OSX Snow Leopard just fine. Looking back now, it makes complete sense that it was a bad hard drive since when the computer fell, the side which houses the hard drive, is the side that landed on my foot. The shock of the fall must have done something freaky to the hard drive which cause all my troubles. So, the moral of my story, especially if you are out of warranty, is to make sure you check out all your options and every aspect of your computer before you're lured into a very expensive logic board replacement. In the end, the "Genius" might not be a "Genius" afterall.

2. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

Good for you! Congrats, that was a major amount saved. Enjoy OSX!

3. Nice macrumors regular

Nice

you are one lucky bastard :p ... it is true, like some people always say: if you want something to be done right, do it yourself

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats!

That does say a lot about the mentality of the employees at authorized dealers. Had they replaced the motherboard and that did not fix the issue, they never had admitted their mistake.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Glad you fixed your issue but tbh after a powered on it would have been the first thing I'd have replaced if errors were occuring.