g-drive mini broken

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SilverOnemi, Oct 10, 2011.

1. SilverOnemi macrumors member

Hello!

for the past months, ever since i got my 2011 mbp, i've used a g-drive mini 500gb drive i purchased with it, having an ssd'd mac and not a lot of space i've kept most of my information on this drive.

Relying on the fact that i've never had a disk become corrupt or broken, i didn't made any backups of the information on this drive ( yes i know smart right? ), to add insult to injury, this was also my time machine backup drive.

well, today has i was studying maths, minding my own business and not really using the disk, i suddenly heard the disk go down, has if i had yanked the cable out without ejecting the drive. for moments i thought the cable had somehow disconnected, but upon close inspection it became obvious, the drive wasn't working anymore.

i still remember reading reviews about this disk, specifically mentioning that it wasn't very reliable; well i now i know they were right, at the time i had ignored these for the fact that this drive is definitely a looker, and has this beautiful treatment on it that makes it look like it came with my mac.

out of curiosity, i disconnect the drive and smelled it, and noticed this burned electronic kind of sent coming out of it.

i believe the electronics burned up; not the disk itself, but the electronics that are connected to the drive to enable usb and firewire support.

i'd like your opinion on this.

2. SilverOnemi thread starter macrumors member

3. Mac Skeleton macrumors newbie

What was their advice? Or are they going to warranty it?

I had the same exact thing happen to mine and need to call them about it!

4. SilverOnemi thread starter macrumors member

I'd call them before dismantling the drive. Yeah they replaced the drive, the new one is sitting to my left! fast service / shipping too!