G-Drive mini or LaCie Rugged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boo-yee, Jan 6, 2008.

1. boo-yee macrumors newbie

Shopping for ext. HD for my macbook. I've narrowed down to 160gb G-drive mini or the 160gb Lacie rugged. Gonna buy soon need recomendations please. Both have dual interface, usb & FW...

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I have a 120GB LaCie Rugged its great. Nice having FW powered external drive

3. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

I've got a Maxtor OneTouch Mini III - works beautifully; very fast, very reliable, and super sexy looking.

4. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Been Lookin Myself, i would get the G-Drive Mini, or one of these:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

If you can spare the 289, you can get 16mb of cache! Crazy for a bus powered drive. I can't imagine what a 7,200 does for your battery life tho :confused:

The ruggeds looked good as well. Keep us posted what ya get :)

5. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Awesome; for me, I've got 99% of my stuff residing on my external drive; the amount of battery power used by it would be negligible; where the battery power gets used up is the extra heat generated and thus the extra time of which the fans must run at high speed.

6. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

i love my 500GB lacie rugged.
    lacie, best hard drives money can buy.

7. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have owned two GTech mini's and a G drive for about three years and love them. One is dedicated to Time Machine and the others are for images and studio business materials. The only product that I feel is better are the Wiedenbach drives.

8. Horst Guest

I have some Rugged and a G Tech mini, all of them working nicely.

You get more for your dollar with LaCie, e.g. triple interface in all FW models and more space for the same amount of money.

The G Tech enclosure is stronger and a tad smaller, but probably less shock proof - the Rugged has the rubber bumper, a soft aluminum case and internal rubber suspension.
    Mine travel a lot, and get dropped occasionaly, no problem.

The interface and HDD quality should be close or identical, though I don't know what brand each is using.

Oh, and I wouldn't get 160GB, the higher capacities are so close in price these days.