G Drive Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by steffi, Apr 30, 2009.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

Just a question about their enclosure. I have one of their triple interface drives which is 500 gb.

I'm wondering why there's a difference b/w the picture on the box and the actual enclosure.

For instance the enclosure shows on the outside 4 holes vertically where as the box picture and online pictures show only 3 holes vertically.

I'm wondering if the one I have is SATA interface or not.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Pictures would be very useful. Not many people are willing to do the research online and in person to see what it is you're talking about.

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

From the images at the site it looks like all the ports are labelled, aren't yours?

4. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually I don't mean the ports by holes. I meant the front plate.

Having opened mine today I can see inside it uses a full height 2.5 inch drive so perhaps that's why this 500 gb 5400 RPM model uses a slightly taller case than the other models you see in the pictures today. The odd thing is that the drive doesn't match the pictures on the box since they are also the slimmer enclosure.

As for swapping a drive out of it. It's not that difficult but there's a lot of screws to deal with.

In my case the X-25M 80 that I recently took out of my UMBP won't fit on the circuit board of my RocketFish 2.5 enclosures because the connector on the drive sits too high relative to the connector on the board. So, I'll put my X-25M 80 in this G-Tech enclosure and move the G-Drive to the RocketFish enclosure.

Update: Well it turns out all that was for nout. I could put my X-25M in the G-Drive enclosure and that would be real nice. But it turns out that the 500 gb drive that was already in it is a 12.5mm drive and none of my other enclosures will accomodate that. So I did end up managing to get the X-25M 80 to fit in the RocketFish enclosure and after that over USB it provides a wopping 23 MB/sec transfer rate and that is downright embarrasing so I may be shopping around for some decent enclosures and since I also order the BC338 like everybody else I should possibly be able to improve upon FW800 but there's something to be said about being able to daisy chain a bunch of those together also.

I would jump at the chance to pick up some G-Drive enclosures and replace my USB/eSata RocketFish enclosures which are obviously poor performing with those.

It's interesting how G-Tech provide only FW800 on their lower SSD drive since it only gives about 73 MB/Sec which is also pathetic for the SSD.

I'd be interested in what folks think eSata can do over FW800.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have the g-raid mini and am looking for some cheap but good ssds to compare it with...hrm...